Translate several files in 1 project
Thread poster: uytteb
uytteb  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:21
French to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 12, 2014

I often translate files for the same customer that require the same glossaries, TM, etc. I always do this in the same project, even though they are strictly speaking different projects. Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea? I can't think of one, but I hope I'm not overlooking something.

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael J.H. Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
English to Danish
+ ...
"... strictly speaking different projects" Mar 12, 2014

uytteb wrote:

I often translate files for the same customer that require the same glossaries, TM, etc. I always do this in the same project, **even though they are strictly speaking different projects**. Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea? I can't think of one, but I hope I'm not overlooking something.

When you say "even though they are strictly speaking different projects", I assume that you mean that they are not part of the same assignment (purchase order) from your client. However, if one broadens the meaning of "project" to include all assignments (purchase orders) related to a given client, TM, etc. with common terminology, then your approach would seem to be most appropriate.

The only possible disadvantage that springs to mind is that the 'project' would not have an end date but would continue for as long as you continue to get orders from your client, which relate to a common TM and terminology set. This is, as far as I can see, more of a theoretical problem than a real one.

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
KISS Mar 12, 2014

Dear Uytteb,

Good question, I've been teaching freelance translators to adopt this approach for years now because it is simple (KISS method: keep it simple, students).

I haven't come across any major disadvantages, but I am glad you asked the question to see if anyone can think of any!

Thanks,

John

PS - I noticed some time ago with a previous version (maybe PC/Mac thing, can't remember now), that the TM/glossary priority did not stay as configured if you select multiple TMs or glossaries, leave the project and come back to it. I think/hope this has been resolved. Nevertheless, it always a good idea to check before starting a translation.

uytteb  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for replies Mar 12, 2014

Hi Michael and John,

Thanks for your replies and for confirming what I suspected.

Ben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate several files in 1 project

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search