How do I convert txml files back to idml?
Thread poster: Lissette Chacon

Lissette Chacon  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:37
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
May 5, 2014

Hello, I received idml (InDesign) files and converted them to WordFast Pro (txml), how do I change them back to idml since the client uses InDesign? Thanks for your help!

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:37
Finnish to French
Like with any other supported file format May 5, 2014

If a file in the XYZ format is supported by Wordfast Pro and you open it in Wordfast Pro, you'll get a file with the extension .XYZ.TXML. Translate that file in Wordfast Pro and once you've done, use File > Save translated file to obtain the translated version of your XYZ.

IDML should be no different than any other supported format (DOCX, PPT etc.)

Member (2009)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I will try that, thank you Dominique! May 5, 2014

Someone asked me: what exchange format is available in Word Fast that allows a direct export in a format that can be opened in indesign? But I don't know how to reply, please advise, thanks again!

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:37
Finnish to French
IDML May 5, 2014

IDML (or INX, in older versions of InDesign) is the intermediate format that is supposed to be used when you wish to translate the textual content of an InDesign file. Most CAT tools - including Wordfast Pro - support the IDML format (*).

The general idea is the following

1. You export texts to be translated to an IDML file (you need InDesign to do this)
2. You translate the IDML file with the CAT tool of your choice (eg. Wordfast Pro, memoQ etc.)
3. You import the translated IDML back into InDesign (again, you need InDesign)

In most cases, someone will need to make adjustments in InDesign, because texts may "overflow" once translated etc.

(*) One notable exception is memoQ which, in addition to IDML, also supports InDesign's native format (INDD), via their Language Terminal solution. It allows you to process INDD files without having InDesign.

Member (2009)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Dominique! May 5, 2014

I already saved all the files in WF as idml.txml and have been working without problems, since I don't have InDesign I guess I will only do the translation since there are adjustments to be made.

Thank you Dominique!

[Edited at 2014-05-05 17:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-06 00:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I convert txml files back to idml?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search