Wordfast Pro on Mac- Can't save translated file- Help....
Thread poster: AlisaBrazil

AlisaBrazil
Brazil
Portuguese to English
May 17, 2014

I am very new to Wordfast Pro (version 3.4.0) and unfortunately have found few Mac tutorials on specifics. Hoping the forum here can help.

I cannot save the translated file anymore. The message I get is: "Checksum failed. Original file could not be found. It's either renamed or changed. Would you like to locate it by yourself."

Indeed, the original file seems to have gotten zapped- it's not even in the trash. I would like to like the translation I've just completed in Wordpro to a copy of the original file so that I don't have to reformat the entire text. Could someone explain to me how to do this. I am running Maverick on Mac (os 10.9) I have to send the file by Sunday. Any help would be much appreciated.

In addition, if anyone can point me to learners and tutorials on WF for Mac, I'd be very grateful since customer service seems to be no online chat or customer service number for WordFasticon_frown.gif

Thank you

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:46
Finnish to French
No source file = can't save translated file May 17, 2014

AlisaBrazil wrote:
I am very new to Wordfast Pro (version 3.4.0) and unfortunately have found few Mac tutorials on specifics.

Wordfast Pro is a multiplatform tool (Windows, Mac, Linux). The basic processes are the same on all platforms. There is nothing Mac-specific in saving a translated file.
AlisaBrazil wrote:
I cannot save the translated file anymore. The message I get is: "Checksum failed. Original file could not be found. It's either renamed or changed. Would you like to locate it by yourself."

Indeed, the original file seems to have gotten zapped- it's not even in the trash.

I somehow doubt the source file was deleted (or "zapped") by Wordfast. You surely must have a copy somewhere, maybe in your e-mail? How did you get it in the first place?
AlisaBrazil wrote:
I would like to like the translation I've just completed in Wordpro to a copy of the original file so that I don't have to reformat the entire text.

If your translations were stored in a TM, you don't have to "reformat" everything: just retranslate the original document (of course, you must have it somewhere) and the TM should spit out everything you already translated.
AlisaBrazil wrote:
since customer service seems to be no online chat or customer service number for WordFasticon_frown.gif

First of all, Wordfast doesn't offer support over "online chat" or a "service number". You must log in to your personal account at wordfast.net, select 'Contact the hotline' and fill in a form. Did you do that?
Secondly, this is a Saturday. Support is normally available during business hours on week days.

AlisaBrazil
Brazil
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Pro on Mac- Can't save translated file- Help.... May 18, 2014

Thank you Dominique.

I was able to upload the original file and retranslate. Now everything is working fineicon_smile.gif

I know that Wordfast works on many platforms, but the tutorials show its use in the windows environment, mostly. There are commands and other visuals that are very different on the versions they show in Windows and what I see on my screen. When I am using a program I am familiar with, that's not a program, but it is very confusing when learning a new program.

It would be really helpful, for the Mac community I think, if Wordfast created those same materials for Mac users, too. Too bad there is not more customer service then email. I waited over 8 hours from a response to my email. It's a great program, but one motivation for purchasing the full version was to be able to count on good customer/technical support. I have filled in forms, several. Only one question has been answered thus far. For the cost of this program, I think they need to have better support. I would like to write or call directly to speak to someone about this. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:46
Finnish to French
Availability of support May 18, 2014

AlisaBrazil wrote:
Too bad there is not more customer service then email. I waited over 8 hours from a response to my email. It's a great program, but one motivation for purchasing the full version was to be able to count on good customer/technical support. I have filled in forms, several. Only one question has been answered thus far. For the cost of this program, I think they need to have better support.

You don't own a license and you expect to receive an immediate reply to your tech support query on a Saturday evening? I think you're having highly unrealistic expectations...

Support is for users who have a license. If so, it works as follows: 1) you log in to your personal account at wordfast.net, 2) you select Contact the hotline and fill in the form, 3) you wait for a reply. Most users will tell you replies are usually fast, even during weekends and outside business hours.

If you don't have a license (for instance, because you're still evaluating the product), you can turn to forums such as this one, or the mailing list.
AlisaBrazil wrote:
I would like to write or call directly to speak to someone about this. Any ideas?

Why not escalate it directly to the CEO, Yves Champollion?

AlisaBrazil
Brazil
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Pro on Mac- Can't save translated file- Help.... May 18, 2014

Actually, Dominique, I have purchased a license and I wrote this in my reply. I purchased it the day after I started using the program because I think it's a fantastic program AND because I knew I would want full customer support. That is the reason I am making this observation.

I followed all the the steps you mentioned and I have not received a response from any request since Friday evening. It is now Sunday. I am not new to using customer service forms.

I would like to write to Yves to see if he would consider increasing the tech support. Is he on this forum?

Thanks again for your help Dominique. I've got most things running ok, but the customer support really is an issue.

Marcos Cardenas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have you tried "saving as"? May 18, 2014

Hi, I'm a Mac user and have a licensed WF as well. It doesn't really matter if the original file is in a different location, since you can always use the option "save as" and keep a tkml file in a new location. That way you make sure you don't modify the source file. Once you finish the assignment, you can export the target document as .docx.

On the other hand, make sure that the license you have matches the program version you first downloaded. If you update WF, the install number changes and you should generate a different license. Not doing it means limited working features in WF.

I hope the information is useful.

Regards!

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:46
English to Arabic
Support May 19, 2014

Dear Alisa,

AlisaBrazil wrote:

I was able to upload the original file and retranslate. Now everything is working fineicon_smile.gif

What you did is so smart indeed.

AlisaBrazil wrote:

I followed all the the steps you mentioned and I have not received a response from any request since Friday evening. It is now Sunday. I am not new to using customer service forms.

Well, as far as I can see; there are a few email exchanges between you and one of our support reps during the period; being not helpful enough is another issue, for which we apologise indeed.

In the future, please feel free to contact me via Skype (wf_yasmin) if you do not receive a response from the Hotline as soon as you expect or if you find the response not adequate for your needs in any way.

Kind regards,
Yasmin (WF)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro on Mac- Can't save translated file- Help....

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search