Thread poster: Sue Davis
Sue Davis
Sue Davis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:04
Member (2015)
French to English
May 24, 2014

I have been sent a translation memory in text format for a translation I am doing. I have imported the TM into Wordfast Pro and have selected the TM as Active. However the programme seems to be unable to connect to the TM, I am getting the message 'unable to connect to TM properly'. When I return to the TM list the Active box is unchecked.I'd be grateful for advice as I need to get this translation completed for Monday.

thanks
Sue

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just checking... May 24, 2014

... are you looking for Wordfast help or help with one of the SDL products? If the former maybe move this thread to the right place.

If the latter what product are you using and can you explain what you did to make the TM available for use in the SDL product?

Thanks

Paul

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
Finnish to French
Exact format of text TM? May 24, 2014

davissm wrote:
I have been sent a translation memory in text format for a translation I am doing.

"text" can be almost anything. Can you open that TM in a text editor (eg. Notepad) and post the first 4-5 lines?
davissm wrote:
I have imported the TM into Wordfast Pro and have selected the TM as Active. However the programme seems to be unable to connect to the TM, I am getting the message 'unable to connect to TM properly'. When I return to the TM list the Active box is unchecked.I'd be grateful for advice as I need to get this translation completed for Monday.

You'd first need to establish this is a Wordfast TM, or a TMX, which are the only TM formats supported by Wordfast Pro.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:04
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Do you need to do a reorganise? May 24, 2014

That may be way off as I don't actually use Wf Pro - I bought it but have never bothered to use it as Classic has catered for all my needs so far. But I do know that it's wise, if not essential, to reorganise a received TM in Classic.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
Finnish to French
TM reindexing: Classic vs. Pro May 24, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:
That may be way off as I don't actually use Wf Pro - I bought it but have never bothered to use it as Classic has catered for all my needs so far. But I do know that it's wise, if not essential, to reorganise a received TM in Classic.

"Reorganising" in Classic means (re)creating the TM index from scratch. There is no function called "reorganise" in Pro. The TM index is created/updated when you add or create a TM via Translation Memory > New/Select TM. Wordfast Pro will normally say 'TM connection established successfully', which means it was able to (re)index (= "reorganise") the TM. If not, it deems the TM not valid.

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Clearly a red herring then May 24, 2014

Thanks for the clarification, Dominique

Sue Davis
Sue Davis  Identity Verified
France
Member (2015)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 25, 2014

Many thanks for your replies. The translation memory is a TM text file and could be opened with Notepad. I have no idea why, but I renamed the file, put in on my desktop, and for some reason the programme then had no problem accessing it. My apologies for having troubled you.

Sue

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Glad it was sorted in time May 25, 2014

davissm wrote:
I renamed the file, put in on my desktop, and for some reason the programme then had no problem accessing it.

I'm sure we've all been there, Sue - I know I have.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wordfast TM problems

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »