Andreas THEODOROU
Andreas THEODOROU  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:32
Greek to English
+ ...
May 25, 2014

Hello everyone

Recently, I downloaded a Demo verison of WordFast Pro (v.3.2.2) to use before deciding whether to purchase (up to now, I mainly use SDL Studio).

Can somebody please explain to me the option "Write unedited fuzzy and exact segments to a TM" available in TM Settings.

What is the point of activating this option and how does it fit into the workflow?

What is "unedited" exactly? When you don't touch the segment (i.e. when you don't a
... See more
Hello everyone

Recently, I downloaded a Demo verison of WordFast Pro (v.3.2.2) to use before deciding whether to purchase (up to now, I mainly use SDL Studio).

Can somebody please explain to me the option "Write unedited fuzzy and exact segments to a TM" available in TM Settings.

What is the point of activating this option and how does it fit into the workflow?

What is "unedited" exactly? When you don't touch the segment (i.e. when you don't activate the focus). Or when you don't commit the segment to the TM?

If this option is activated, does it create a separate TM?

What is its scope? project-specific? program-wide?

Thanks for answers

Andy
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Write unedited fuzzy and exact segments to a TM May 26, 2014

Dear Andy,

Regarding: Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory > "Write unedited fuzzy and exact segments to a TM":

This applies to fuzzy and exact matches (let's say if you receive an already pre-translated document from the client) as well as the unedited MTed segments (otherwise, once you edit the machine translation output, you can store the segment without this option active). Now, Alt+Down, Alt+End and Ctrl+Alt+End will store those kinds of segments to the TM.
... See more
Dear Andy,

Regarding: Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory > "Write unedited fuzzy and exact segments to a TM":

This applies to fuzzy and exact matches (let's say if you receive an already pre-translated document from the client) as well as the unedited MTed segments (otherwise, once you edit the machine translation output, you can store the segment without this option active). Now, Alt+Down, Alt+End and Ctrl+Alt+End will store those kinds of segments to the TM.

This option applies to the TXML Perspective. On the other hand, the PM Perspective > Cleanup with "Update TM" option stores all sorts of segments to the TM without requiring this option to be active.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Yasmin
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Activate May 26, 2014

Dear Andy,
I generally have this activated by default.
This allows you to capture MT segments that don't need to be edited (short segments, dates, etc.) and store them in your TM. I sometimes get 99% fuzzies or other high matches that are just a tag difference. I don't need to edit them either and want that version stored in my TM as well.

Best,
John

Andreas THEODOROU
Andreas THEODOROU  Identity Verified
Spain
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. May 28, 2014

Thank you for your feedback, guys. Now I understand A LOT better (the User Guide does a poor job explaining this).

I did some experimentation with the "Write unedited fuzzy and exact segments to a TM" box checked and unchecked.

If the option is unchecked, it seems that there is absolutely no way to commit a segment (whether it be a fuzzy match or a 100% match) to the TM without editing it. It is surprising that WFP won't let me commit unedited 100% matches with Alt-Dow
... See more
Thank you for your feedback, guys. Now I understand A LOT better (the User Guide does a poor job explaining this).

I did some experimentation with the "Write unedited fuzzy and exact segments to a TM" box checked and unchecked.

If the option is unchecked, it seems that there is absolutely no way to commit a segment (whether it be a fuzzy match or a 100% match) to the TM without editing it. It is surprising that WFP won't let me commit unedited 100% matches with Alt-Down. (And I'm talking human-translated 100% matches here.)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Plz explain "Write unedited fuzzy and exact segments to a TM."

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »