Is there a size limit for an individual txml file for translation with WF Anywhere?
Thread poster: Esther_P

Esther_P  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:55
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 1, 2014

I know there's a file limit which is 10, but is there also a size limit for an individual txml file that can be uploaded for translation with WF Anywhere?

Smaller files work fine for me, but with larger files, like large contracts and such, it always seems to me that they don't upload entirely. I never have time to play with it too much, so I usually just do them in word in order not to lose time.

Or am I missing something?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:55
Finnish to French
File size limit in Wordfast Anywhere Jun 1, 2014

I seem to remember the maximum size of document files you can upload to your Wordfast Anywhere account is 2 MB. However, you can zip them (it's recommended for large files) and the size limit is then determined based on the size of the zip file, not of the document contained in it. A TXML should typically shrink a lot once zipped, since it's a plain text file.

What you can also do is split your TXML into several smaller portions, using Wordfast Pro. The demo version should be sufficient to do this.

You may also want to subscribe to the Wordfast Anywhere mailing list and ask further questions there, since this is where the real experts (among others, the developers) hang out.

United States
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File size limit in Wordfast Anywhere Jun 2, 2014

OK. Thanks.
It just looks like there is a restricted number of segments there. When I scroll down after uploading a file, it only scrolls down maybe 30 segments, and then it stops. And the rest of the document can't be seen. Or will it add segments while I am translating?

Also - how does concordance search work in WF Anywhere? Where are previous translations stored?

Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:55
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Limits in WFA Jun 2, 2014

Esther_P>

1. Your files uploaded to Wordfast Anywhere are divided into blocks. If you reach the end of a block, you simply click the pink outline pane on the left and choose a number of a segment to move there. ["You can jump and open any segment of the document by clicking on its number. If the segment is not visible on the document panel (no pink background), the document panel will be refresh. "]

2. You can see 10 recent documents in the system, however your WfA TM will "memorise" the segments from your previous translations as well.

Good luck!
Marcelina

United States
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Concordance search and TM settings Jun 2, 2014

That was very helpful!

Thanks, Marcelina.

I'll try that asap.

I also just tried concordance search and it said "no record found" for a term I did translate for sure. My TM settings were probably incorrect DURING the translation, right? So it didn't save anything?

What's the correct setting for the TM in order to enable entries to be saved?

@Dominique: Sorry - I know the function is available, I just don't know how to use it (in terms of TM settings etc.) - My question was "how", not "if". Thanks.

[Edited at 2014-06-02 16:33 GMT]

Thanks for everybody's help so far. Amazing!

[Edited at 2014-06-02 16:34 GMT]

Finnish to French
Concordance search in Wordfast Anywhere Jun 2, 2014

Esther_P wrote:
Also - how does concordance search work in WF Anywhere?

Yes, of course! What would a translation tool be without a concordance search function?
Esther_P wrote:
Where are previous translations stored?

In the translation memory you have selected for the ongoing translation.

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
TM Lookup Jun 2, 2014

Esther_P wrote:

- My question was "how", not "if".

Four years ago,

the "concordance search" in Wordfast Anywhere

http://www.condak.net/tools/concordance/wf_word/cs/12.html

and in Wordfast Pro, the name of the feature was changed to "TM Lookup"

http://www.condak.net/tools/concordance/more/cs/12.html

Cheers,

Milan Condak

Finnish to French
Selected TM in Wordfast Anywhere Jun 2, 2014

Esther_P wrote:
I also just tried concordance search and it said "no record found" for a term I did translate for sure. My TM settings were probably incorrect DURING the translation, right? So it didn't save anything?

What's the correct setting for the TM in order to enable entries to be saved?

You should see the main TM you have selected displayed below the toolbar, as shown here:

2014-06-02_2316.png

United States
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WF Anywhere Jun 3, 2014

Thanks so much everybody.

Patricia Bowden
Italy
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Thank you for your help! Jun 22, 2014

Marcelina Haftka wrote:

Esther_P>

1. Your files uploaded to Wordfast Anywhere are divided into blocks. If you reach the end of a block, you simply click the pink outline pane on the left and choose a number of a segment to move there. ["You can jump and open any segment of the document by clicking on its number. If the segment is not visible on the document panel (no pink background), the document panel will be refresh. "]

2. You can see 10 recent documents in the system, however your WfA TM will "memorise" the segments from your previous translations as well.

Good luck!
Marcelina

Thank you! I cam here because I was having a similar problem on a project I was working on. I wanted to edit my initial translation but found that I could not locate the first half of the document. I could not find the "pink outline pane" that you mentioned but I was able to get to the first segment by clicking "display" -> "view within document" -> first segment of document"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a size limit for an individual txml file for translation with WF Anywhere?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search