Thread poster: Lianne van de Ven

Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:45
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 26, 2014

I am hoping someone has a suggestion for how to fix this problem retrieving my txt-based WFP TM in Olifant. My WFP license is expired (I am not going to renew at this point), and apparently I now cannot export the TM's that I have accumulated over the years. I have had issues in the past with direct imports of WFP text-based TM's in Olifant, and found it better to create a new TM in olifant and use "import" rather than just opening the TM, or best: export the tmx out of WFP.

Either way, when I try to open or import the txt based TM in Olifant, I get the error message:
Error: Line xxx: There are one or more missing fields - for every single line in my tm.

I opened several tm's that don't have this problem in EditPad, compared their structure and the headers, swapped out the first line or parts of it, but nothing helps. I have no idea why I would have this problem with the TM in the first place. Everything looks normal.

I tried to upload it to WFA and it gave me the error message that there was a problem with the header or something else. I cannot repeat this at the moment because WFA is hanging when I try to set up the TM (in FF as well as Chrome).

Anyone any idea what I can do to solve this problem and access my TM and convert it to tmx?

Thanksicon_smile.gif

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
Finnish to French
Alternatives to export to TMX Jun 26, 2014

Lianne van de Ven wrote:
My WFP license is expired (I am not going to renew at this point), and apparently I now cannot export the TM's that I have accumulated over the years.

I didn't know it wouldn't be possible to export a large TM from WFP running in demo mode, but if this is indeed the case, there are several alternatives:

1) upload your Wordfast TM to Wordfast Anywhere, then download it as TMX

2) install Wordfast Classic, select your Wordfast TM and use Classic's Data editor to export is as TMX (this works even in demo mode)

3) use WfConverter, a free, standalone program (Windows only) that will let you convert a Wordfast TM to the TMX format

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
corrupted? Jun 27, 2014

Thanks for your reply, Dominique.

First, I was wrong about WFP not exporting TM's after expiration. I can export some tm's just fine. What I don't understand is that many of my listed TM's in WFP indicate having a TU count of -1 (shown when I click on a TM). These tm's cannot be exported from within WFP, even though there are TU's in the actual source document. Must be a corruption in WFP. I can open these in Olifant as txt and export it as tmx just fine.

I have tried the other options, but obviously there is something wrong with (the structure of) my text file. I am not sure if I accidentally changed something to the encoding or what.
Would you (or someone else) be able to have a look at it?

Thanks.
Lianne

United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Figured it out Jun 27, 2014

I managed to fix my TM file by gradually substituting lines of a TM that worked fine and see how that showed up in Olifant. I got various kinds of errors in the process, for example, for some reason the date field was not acceptable. I discovered that the tabulations between items in a line were not correct (e.g. 4 tabs and 12 periods) and used find/replace to copy these from the correct TM. Basically, there were periods instead of tabs everywhere, and I gradually replaced all of these with tabs, according to the structure of the correct tm. No idea where these errors came from and it was quite a bit of work (about 45 mins for 1700 entries). Once I had all tabs correct, I opened the file in excel without any problem, and was able to substitute dates and anything else before the actual source and target segments with an entry that worked, and then I could open it in Olifant - just beautifully!

Feeling capable and happy again.....icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2014-06-27 22:42 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"There are one or more missing fields"

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search