How to save a file as a bilingual doc/docx showing both source and target?
Thread poster: Marcos Cardenas

Marcos Cardenas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 30, 2014

Dear all,

I was wondering if there is any way to save a translated file as a "bilingual" doc/docx document. My client has asked me to send the translated file hopefully showing the source content and the target content on the same pages and keeping the same format (alignment) at the same time.
I have tried in different ways but I have not been able to do it. So far the only idea I have come up with is copy/paste from the original file, which is really time-consuming given that it has too many embedded tables.
If possible, I would appreciate your help.

By the way, I have a fully licensed Wordfast 3 Pro on a Mac.

Cheers!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:45
Finnish to French
WFC bilingual Jun 30, 2014

Select File > Save as, and then one of the WFC bilingual options:

Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already tried that... Jun 30, 2014

I already did that and I do get the translated units without format. They are just lines.

Thanks anyway!

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Select File > Save as, and then one of the WFC bilingual options:

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Wordfast Classic Jun 30, 2014

Marcos Cardenas wrote:
I already did that and I do get the translated units without format. They are just lines.

If you need to retain the formatting, you should be using Wordfast Classic (obviously, only with Word documents).

Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again but... Jun 30, 2014

not really what I need. Although I have the Mac Office 2011 add-on template, I cannot keep both texts (source and target) because after cleaning the text, the only content left is the target. Something to keep in mind for a next version.

I'll continue copying and pasting!!!

Thank you.

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Marcos Cardenas wrote:

If you need to retain the formatting, you should be using Wordfast Classic (obviously, only with Word documents).

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:45
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Wordfast Anywhere Jul 1, 2014

Unless your file is highly confidential, try uploading it and the respective TM to Wordfast Anywhere and download translation from File → Bilingual File Tools → Downloads → Bilingual for original MS Word. In my experience, no formatting issues arise.

Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Jul 1, 2014

I tried what you said and the document keeps both languages. But when I run the "quick clean" feature to get rid of tags, I only get the target language. I gave up hahaha. I am already copying and pasting from the original.

Thank you all for your replies!!

esperantisto wrote:

Unless your file is highly confidential, try uploading it and the respective TM to Wordfast Anywhere and download translation from File → Bilingual File Tools → Downloads → Bilingual for original MS Word. In my experience, no formatting issues arise.

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Find-Repace - do not cleanup Jul 1, 2014

Dear Marcos,

Marcos Cardenas wrote:

I tried what you said and the document keeps both languages. But when I run the "quick clean" feature to get rid of tags, I only get the target language. I gave up hahaha. I am already copying and pasting from the original.

Are you trying to both: 1) keep source and target, and 2) keep formatting? If so, you can rather use Find-Replace of MS Word to delete the tags. Then Select All, Font > uncheck "Hidden".

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 2, 2014

Thank you Yasmin for your answer. Although what you mention works, it doesn't apply to my document as it contains embedded tables that I needed duplicated (hopefully Eng version above and Esl version below).

I just stuck to copy and paste.

Thanks anyway!!

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Marcos,

Marcos Cardenas wrote:

Are you trying to both: 1) keep source and target, and 2) keep formatting? If so, you can rather use Find-Replace of MS Word to delete the tags. Then Select All, Font > uncheck "Hidden".

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to save a file as a bilingual doc/docx showing both source and target?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search