Merge glossaries of language-pairs A+B, B-C into A-C?
Thread poster: Anchan (X)
Anchan (X)
Anchan (X)
Japan
Local time: 16:29
English to German
+ ...
Dec 5, 2004

Another beginner's question:
I have 2 simple tabbed glossaries (same content): one is English-Japanese, the other is English-German. I would like to produce a single new glossary (in Excel) of these two, containing only Japanese-German.
How can I make Excel (or any other suitable application) sort this out without requiring intensive manual editing?
I appreciate your kind hints!
Anchan on the stormy edge of Tokyo

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:29
English to German
+ ...
With Access Dec 5, 2004

In Access you could import 2 tables having English as indices, create and export a query with those two indices connected and only the Japanese and German fields shown. Done.
But I would prefer to import them to MultiTerm, to create a trilingual terminology database.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:29
English to Polish
+ ...
Maybe some Excel tricks Dec 5, 2004

Sort them by English entries, copy into one sheet side by side (columns A , C - English should be identical, B -Japanese, D German), remove columns A and C, and you have a Japanese - German glossary.

S M Gotiwalee
S M Gotiwalee
Local time: 03:29
German to English
+ ...
use V-lookup function of Excel !! Dec 7, 2004

* Place English-japanese glossar into excel (say Column A= English & Column B = Japanese).

** Now leave one column (Column C).

*** Place your English- German glossar into next 2 columns.(Column D =English & Column E =German)

**** Now use 'V lookup' function (fx) of excel. It's into 'INSERT' drop down.

***** Your 'lookup_value' will be your english term of 'coulmn A'
Your Table_array will be 'English -German Glossar (col. D and E')
... See more
* Place English-japanese glossar into excel (say Column A= English & Column B = Japanese).

** Now leave one column (Column C).

*** Place your English- German glossar into next 2 columns.(Column D =English & Column E =German)

**** Now use 'V lookup' function (fx) of excel. It's into 'INSERT' drop down.

***** Your 'lookup_value' will be your english term of 'coulmn A'
Your Table_array will be 'English -German Glossar (col. D and E')
Your Col_ind_no. will be '2'
and Your Range_lookup will be 'false'

Logic = english term of your eng.japanese glossar will be matched with english term of eng. german glossar and german word will be populated in the german column.

e.g. Japanese Glossar Teacher = Sensei
German Glossar = Der Lehrer
After vlookup result will be Teacher= Sensei= Der Lehrer. You can retain 2 columns Sensei =Der LEhrer and delete rest of the data.

****** you can just drag down the formula of vlookup function by double clicking the single excel cell.Provided there is no space in b/n.

******* Once you are done, please Copy the entire column (populated German words) and right click and say -paste special -values. Or Else !!!!! you will loose all your work.

regards,
Sneha Shah

[Edited at 2005-12-27 05:05]
Collapse

Anchan (X)
Anchan (X)
Japan
Local time: 16:29
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Merging lang-pair glossaries in Excel" advice -- but I don't understand Dec 7, 2004

Dear Sneha Shah, thank you for your detailed advice. But my tiny (and Excel-unexperienced) brain is still confused. You write:
"...***** Your 'lookup_value' will be your english term of 'column A'
Your Table_array will be 'English -German Glossar (col. D and E')"
-- what do I actually enter at "lookup_value"? And what at "table_array"?

Sorry to be so slow. I much appreciate your help!
Anchan, lost at the rim of Tokyo

S M Gotiwalee
S M Gotiwalee
Local time: 03:29
German to English
+ ...
Here is your answer Dec 27, 2005

Your 'lookup_value' will be your english term of 'column A'

"lookup_value" will be the value you want to generate. i.e. German terms. So enter respective column no. containing german terms--- as lookup_value.
As you have selected 'column D and E' as table_array. And german terms are in column E (i.e 2nd column)Your "lookup_value" will be 2.

And "table_array" is 'FALSE'
... See more
Your 'lookup_value' will be your english term of 'column A'

"lookup_value" will be the value you want to generate. i.e. German terms. So enter respective column no. containing german terms--- as lookup_value.
As you have selected 'column D and E' as table_array. And german terms are in column E (i.e 2nd column)Your "lookup_value" will be 2.

And "table_array" is 'FALSE'

regards,
Sneha Shah
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merge glossaries of language-pairs A+B, B-C into A-C?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »