RichardP  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:13
Member (2014)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 24, 2014

Hi

I haven't been using machine translation for long, and I've currently got Wordfast Anywhere.

I have translated a document, starting with an sdlxliff file that was part-translated, and a translation memory which I have been adding to. I have also been supplied with an original .docx word document.

I cannot download a clean Word document to send back to the client - Bilingual versions are the only option, whether sdlxliff or txml.

Previously I have started off with the Word document and all has been fine for creating a translated document but this has stumped me.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Richard

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
Finnish to French
This is the expected behaviour Sep 24, 2014

If your client sent you an SDLXLIFF, you are supposed to return a translated SDLXLIFF. There is no way you can generate the translated DOCX, even though the SDLXLIFF was created from a DOCX. For that, you would need the tool that created the SDLXLIFF, in other words SDL Trados Studio.

Likewise, if a Studio users gets a DOCX.TXML from a client using Wordfast, he will only be able to return a translated TXML, not the translated DOCX. In order to obtain the translated DOCX, one must use Wordfast (Pro or Anywhere).

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
Finnish to French
CAT tools vs. machine translation Sep 24, 2014

RichardP wrote:
I haven't been using machine translation for long, and I've currently got Wordfast Anywhere.

Wordfast is a translation tool (aka CAT tool, for computer-aided translation tool). Machine translation (MT) is something different. MT can be integrated in most CAT tools nowadays. However, MT use is optional in CAT tools: you can use a CAT tool (eg. Wordfast) with or without MT services (eg. Google Translate, Microsoft Translator etc.).

RichardP  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:13
Member (2014)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, that's a relief. Sep 24, 2014

Phew I don't have a problem then.

Sorry I got the terminology wrong, Yes I have set up Google Translate as my MT to fall back on within Wordfast the CAT.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast anywhere - can't create translated clean document

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search