Security Essentials detects Wordfast Classic as virus/Trojan
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:42
Finnish to French
Sep 24, 2014

There have been several reports lately of Microsoft Security Essentials (aka Windows Defender in Windows 8) detecting various versions of Wordfast Classic (eg. 5.92m, 6.03t etc.) as a virus, or more specifically a Trojan (TrojanDownloader:W97M/Broxoff.gen!A). Although I'm using MSSE myself, I haven't been affected by this problem. In any case, this is obviously a "false positive" and here is what you should do, if you happen to experience the problem:

Add wordfast.dot, Word's Startu
... See more
There have been several reports lately of Microsoft Security Essentials (aka Windows Defender in Windows 8) detecting various versions of Wordfast Classic (eg. 5.92m, 6.03t etc.) as a virus, or more specifically a Trojan (TrojanDownloader:W97M/Broxoff.gen!A). Although I'm using MSSE myself, I haven't been affected by this problem. In any case, this is obviously a "false positive" and here is what you should do, if you happen to experience the problem:

Add wordfast.dot, Word's Startup folder (for its typical location, see this article) and the folders where you store your TM's and glossaries to the exclusion list, as shown here:

There is no point in having Security Essentials (or any other anti-virus, for that matter) waste its time on these files and folders.

Then, re-download Wordfast Classic and install it as per instructions.

You may have to temporarily disable Security Essentials when downloading and installing Wordfast, so that it doesn't try to "disinfect" Wordfast (thus rendering it unusable):

You can re-enable it once Wordfast has been installed and the Startup folder + wordfast.dot added to the exclusion list.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Security Essentials detects Wordfast Classic as virus/Trojan

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »