HELP CAN'T EXPORT MY TM FROM WORDFAST (version 3 PRO demo), to .tmx format
Thread poster: Jenny Duthie

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:46
French to English
Dec 3, 2014

Hello. I'm using a demo version of WordFast. A long-standing client sent me a job recently with their updated TM file in .tmx format, which I imported into WordFast, and did the translations. But I can't export the TM back into my documents in order to send the agency the updated TM (containing all the translation units that I have just done!). I think this is because it's a demo version of WordFast with a maximum capacity of 500 TUs. The agency wants to send me another job for this client but myc ontact needs her updated TM before she can send me the new order! Is there a way I can send her the .txml files in bilingual format that she would be able to use. I usually send her a .tmx file, no problem. I normally use MemoQ but my licence has expired & I can't purchase a new one right now, so I am stuck! I looked at saving my .txml files in a different format, I tried this & have the following choices: it says "save with placeholders" or an option "without placeholders", another option "tag-context as placeholder"..... Au secours!

Direct link Reply with quote

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
The following error message appeared when I tried to export one of the .txml files Dec 3, 2014

Level Message
INFO Offline Review Tool Ver. 3.4.5
INFO Extracting 1 file for Offline Review.
INFO TXML Extractor:
C...CHECKED OK__MPS-S0616 rev G PARAMETRES DE PROJECTION PLASMA POUR METAGLENES DELTA ET....doc.txml
INFO 154 tus written to rtf
WARN Exporting RTF. Cannot convert protected RTF to DOC.
INFO Done.

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:46
English to French
+ ...
How about PAYING for the non-restricted version? Dec 3, 2014

The demo version has limited capacities, which are clearly stated.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
Finnish to French
Possible workarounds Dec 3, 2014

How big (in number of segments) is the TXML you just translated? If it has less than 500 segments, create a new TM, clean-up your TXML against that TM (this is done under the PM perspective) and export that TM to TMX.

If your TXML has more than 500 segments, split it into several portions of 500 segments (there is a function to that effect in the PM perspective), then clean-up each portion against empty TM's. You can merge the individual TM's into a single TM (no need to use Wordfast for that, copy/paste in a text editor will do). You can then use WfConverter (a free stand-alone utility) to export the large TM to TMX.

For future jobs, you can use Wordfast Anywhere instead of Wordfast Pro, as it has no restriction whatsoever to the size of TM's you can use with it.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
Finnish to French
memoQ licenses don't expire Dec 3, 2014

Jenny Duthie wrote:
I normally use MemoQ but my licence has expired & I can't purchase a new one right now, so I am stuck!

memoQ licenses don't expire: if you purchased a license for a given version (eg. memoQ 6.0, memoQ 2013 etc.), you can use that version forever.

What does expire (after 45 days) is the trial version. If you need to use memoQ in trial mode for another 45 days, just pretend you're Jane Doe and apply for a new trial under that identity. All you need is another e-mail address (just create a free one for that purpose). Not ideal in the long run, but it will get you going for another 45 days.

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all replies I'm going to buy MemoQ Proz group buy as I prefer it to WordFast Dec 3, 2014

thanks for all your helpful replies, I'll be purchasing MemoQ soon so that will resolve this issue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP CAN'T EXPORT MY TM FROM WORDFAST (version 3 PRO demo), to .tmx format

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search