Thread poster: Luca Balestra

Luca Balestra  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:55
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
Dec 11, 2014

Hi,

Basically, as per the title, WF Pro (Mac OS) has simply stopped working!
When I open a file, I am now unable to edit it, and after a few clicks - for example, if I click to switch from the "Table" to the "Text" view - the editor screen goes blank (white) and I have no choice but to close the file, or the program will crash.
This seems to have happened after I attempted opening an Excel file with slightly unusual formatting.
Note that, when this happened, I was using version 3.1.3 of WFPro because I like it better than the newer ones/am used to it, but I have since updated to 3.4.2 and the problem was not resolved.
I have tried shutting down and restarting both WF Pro and my Macbook Air, to no avail.

I would appreciate any help asap.
Thank you in advance.

Edit: also, when I try editing/exporting my glossaries the following message comes up:
Could not open the editor: An exception was thrown during initialization

[Edited at 2014-12-11 05:07 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:55
Finnish to French
Reinstall? Dec 11, 2014

Just an idea: have you tried to completely uninstall Wordfast Pro (backup the content of the .wf_workspace folder first), and then to reinstall it?

Sounds weird a single Excel file (be it with "slightly unusual formatting") could wreck the entire program, but if you can send it to me in private, I'd be happy to see if open it has the same effects on my Mac (I also happen to have a MacBook Air).

What versions of Java and OS X are you using?

United Kingdom
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed? Dec 11, 2014

Hey Dominique,

Thanks for posting.
In the meantime, I stumbled across this piece of advice by Yasmin (http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/268810-issues_on_wordfast_pro_3_on_a_mac_maverick.html) and tried creating a new project. Apparently the issue seems to have fixed itself (not exactly sure how...) but I have had to delete that particular project.

On a side note, how do you access the .wf_workspace folder on Mac?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:55
Finnish to French
Hidden folders on Mac Dec 11, 2014

Luca Balestra wrote:
On a side note, how do you access the .wf_workspace folder on Mac?

You can see its location by looking at the path to one of your glossaries (create one if you haven't got any).

It's a hidden folder, and hidden folders are not visible by default in OS X. Here is one way to make them visible:

http://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/show-hidden-library-and-user-library-folder-in-osx/

Note that the folder name starts with a dot, and such folders are a special case in OS X (it's explained in the above link).

I'm not sure why the Wordfast Pro developers decided to make .wf_workspace hidden, and why they chose to put glossaries under that particular folder (making it super-hard to back them up, for instance). And I'm not sure why Apple decided to make it so hard to display hidden folders. Probably because (like Microsoft) they think end-users are too stupid for their own good.

United Kingdom
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dominique Dec 11, 2014

Appreciated

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Pro (Mac OS) crashes/has stopped working

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search