How do you change the language pair in Wordfast Pro?
Thread poster: mportal

mportal  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:46
Member (2005)
English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2015

I need to translate 3 files in Wordfast Pro 3 (demo version) but I made a mistake when setting the language pair because the suggested pair was English to French (and I need it to be French to English). Now it comes up with 'English' above the French (source) text and 'French' above the boxes for the English translation.
How can I change this?
(Sorry if it's a stupid question - I've never used Wf before).

I am using Office 2013 Home and Student and Windows 8 (if you need to know that).

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:46
Finnish to French
Create a FR > EN project Feb 3, 2015

If you want to translate from French into English, you first need to create a project with French as source and English as target:

2015-02-03_2240.png

Once you have done that, any source document you open will inherit the correct languages: your French segments will be in the left column and you will have an empty column on the right for your English translations.

You may want to go through this tutorial.

mportal  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:46
Member (2005)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now my translation is there but the source language has disappeared Feb 4, 2015

Thank you very much, Dominique, your advice was very helpful, as was the tutorial, but unfortunately I didn't watch that until after I had done the translation (one file). That came out as a Word file, not TXML as the client wants, and the SL disappeared when I saved it. Is there any way I can make the SL re-appear, or will I have to start again? Also, I uploaded a TM but didn't activate it, so I assume there is no TM with the segments I have translated. Is there any way that you can establish this afterwards, and, if possible, also check the TM I was given?
Probably not.
I think I installed Wordfast pro 3 incorrectly, as well. I put it in 'Program Files', so now if I want to save a file in Wordfast I get asked if I want to change the program. Does that mean I'll have to delete Wordfast Pro and start again (download it again), or can I just slide it across to Downloads or some other location?
Lastly, it asked where I wanted it to be located, so I put that it should be in Office. Does that mean that now I can only work in Word, or will it change to TXML when I activate the TM?
Kind regards
Margaret

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:46
Finnish to French
TXML should be there! Feb 4, 2015

mportal wrote:
I didn't watch that until after I had done the translation (one file). That came out as a Word file, not TXML as the client wants, and the SL disappeared when I saved it.

When you translate any supported file with WFP, WFP always creates a TXML, as soon as you do File > Save. That TXML is in the same folder as the source document that was opened in WFP. If your source document was document.docx, you should have document.docx.txml in the same folder.

If this is not the case, you may have not saved your file (TXML) at all. File > Save is not the same as File > Save Translated File. The former is for the TXML (bilingual file), the latter for the final target file (translation, ie. monolingual).

If there is no TXML in the folder, just start over again (will be very fast, since everything is in the TM), but make sure you do File > Save at the end. Then you will have the translated TXML requested by your client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you change the language pair in Wordfast Pro?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search