Override Segments do not belong to the same paragraph?
Thread poster: JohnWhi

JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
French to English
Feb 14, 2015

Sorry for a basic question, but this has been bothering me. Working from French to English in Wordfast Pro 3.4.2, I sometimes find that a noun is in one segment and its adjective is in the following. English word order has the noun before the adjective and, where there is a segment of only one word, it would be logical to combine the two segments. Attempting this results in the alert: Segments do not belong in the same paragraph. Is it possible to override this? In fact, they are simply the last two words in the sentence, appearing on different lines in the original document.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:28
English to French
+ ...
Alas! Feb 14, 2015

Not being able to join 2 segments is one issue which makes WfP not yet suitable for actual production work.

Maybe there is a way to join 2 segments, but I haven't found it yet.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:28
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
The easy way and the hard way Feb 14, 2015

The hard way first: check through your source document for bad formatting that creates such problems and correct it before segmenting.

The easy way, which is what I use: simply translate the two segments, putting text of the same length as the source segment in the first target segment and the rest in the second segment. Of course, the TM will have source and target segments that don't match. If this really matters to you, insert a note in one of the segments or write a note on paper and use that after you have cleaned up to identify the segments to be combined in the TM. Frequently, this is really not worth bothering with.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Feb 14, 2015

B D Finch wrote:

The hard way first: check through your source document for bad formatting that creates such problems and correct it before segmenting.

The easy way, which is what I use: simply translate the two segments, putting text of the same length as the source segment in the first target segment and the rest in the second segment. Of course, the TM will have source and target segments that don't match. If this really matters to you, insert a note in one of the segments or write a note on paper and use that after you have cleaned up to identify the segments to be combined in the TM. Frequently, this is really not worth bothering with.


Many thanks. Can you give me a clue as to how to spot the bad formatting that creates such problems in a Word document? I have checked Reveal Formatting but do not see anything untoward at the point where the error occurs, apart from a couple of non-breaking spaces that could be spotted, given enough time. I have tended to solve the problem by editing the source segments, better for the TM and worse for formatting, as well as your easy way, but they seem botched rather than a logical procedures.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:28
English to French
+ ...
to edit, or not to edit? Feb 14, 2015

That is a fine and dandy piece of advice for originals which can be edited, such as Word, but there is no reason to use WfP with those, when WfC has way more functions and is more user-friendly.

When translating documents such as InDesign and the like, one is still left helpless.

B D Finch wrote:

The hard way first: check through your source document for bad formatting that creates such problems and correct it before segmenting.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Daniel
Local time: 06:28
Preferences > Translations Feb 18, 2015

Latest versions has an option to merge across two segments from different paragraph. To enable this option go to Preferences > Merge across paragraphs (experimental)

Thank you,

John

JL01 wrote:

Not being able to join 2 segments is one issue which makes WfP not yet suitable for actual production work.

Maybe there is a way to join 2 segments, but I haven't found it yet.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:28
English to French
+ ...
Thanks! Feb 18, 2015

Thanks, John. I had seen that option without realizing what it is, and had left it unchecked.

It is actually called "Enable segment merging across paragraphs (experimental)" and can be found under Preferences | Translations.

JL

jsingaram wrote:

Latest versions has an option to merge across two segments from different paragraph. To enable this option go to Preferences > Merge across paragraphs (experimental)

Thank you,

John



Direct link Reply with quote
 

JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just what I needed Feb 19, 2015

That is exactly what I needed to know, and it seems to work perfectly. Thank you very much, John.

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Override Segments do not belong to the same paragraph?

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search