https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/281836-override_segments_do_not_belong_to_the_same_paragraph.html

Override Segments do not belong to the same paragraph?
Thread poster: JohnWhi
JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:15
French to English
Feb 14, 2015

Sorry for a basic question, but this has been bothering me. Working from French to English in Wordfast Pro 3.4.2, I sometimes find that a noun is in one segment and its adjective is in the following. English word order has the noun before the adjective and, where there is a segment of only one word, it would be logical to combine the two segments. Attempting this results in the alert: Segments do not belong in the same paragraph. Is it possible to override this? In fact, they are simply the last... See more
Sorry for a basic question, but this has been bothering me. Working from French to English in Wordfast Pro 3.4.2, I sometimes find that a noun is in one segment and its adjective is in the following. English word order has the noun before the adjective and, where there is a segment of only one word, it would be logical to combine the two segments. Attempting this results in the alert: Segments do not belong in the same paragraph. Is it possible to override this? In fact, they are simply the last two words in the sentence, appearing on different lines in the original document.Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:15
English to French
+ ...
Alas! Feb 14, 2015

Not being able to join 2 segments is one issue which makes WfP not yet suitable for actual production work.

Maybe there is a way to join 2 segments, but I haven't found it yet.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:15
French to English
+ ...
The easy way and the hard way Feb 14, 2015

The hard way first: check through your source document for bad formatting that creates such problems and correct it before segmenting.

The easy way, which is what I use: simply translate the two segments, putting text of the same length as the source segment in the first target segment and the rest in the second segment. Of course, the TM will have source and target segments that don't match. If this really matters to you, insert a note in one of the segments or write a note on pape
... See more
The hard way first: check through your source document for bad formatting that creates such problems and correct it before segmenting.

The easy way, which is what I use: simply translate the two segments, putting text of the same length as the source segment in the first target segment and the rest in the second segment. Of course, the TM will have source and target segments that don't match. If this really matters to you, insert a note in one of the segments or write a note on paper and use that after you have cleaned up to identify the segments to be combined in the TM. Frequently, this is really not worth bothering with.
Collapse

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Feb 14, 2015

B D Finch wrote:

The easy way, which is what I use: simply translate the two segments, putting text of the same length as the source segment in the first target segment and the rest in the second segment. Of course, the TM will have source and target segments that don't match. If this really matters to you, insert a note in one of the segments or write a note on paper and use that after you have cleaned up to identify the segments to be combined in the TM. Frequently, this is really not worth bothering with.

Many thanks. Can you give me a clue as to how to spot the bad formatting that creates such problems in a Word document? I have checked Reveal Formatting but do not see anything untoward at the point where the error occurs, apart from a couple of non-breaking spaces that could be spotted, given enough time. I have tended to solve the problem by editing the source segments, better for the TM and worse for formatting, as well as your easy way, but they seem botched rather than a logical procedures.

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
to edit, or not to edit? Feb 14, 2015

That is a fine and dandy piece of advice for originals which can be edited, such as Word, but there is no reason to use WfP with those, when WfC has way more functions and is more user-friendly.

When translating documents such as InDesign and the like, one is still left helpless.

B D Finch wrote:

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 08:15
Preferences > Translations Feb 18, 2015

Latest versions has an option to merge across two segments from different paragraph. To enable this option go to Preferences > Merge across paragraphs (experimental)

Thank you,

John

JL01 wrote:

Not being able to join 2 segments is one issue which makes WfP not yet suitable for actual production work.

Maybe there is a way to join 2 segments, but I haven't found it yet.

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
Thanks! Feb 18, 2015

Thanks, John. I had seen that option without realizing what it is, and had left it unchecked.

It is actually called "Enable segment merging across paragraphs (experimental)" and can be found under Preferences | Translations.

JL

jsingaram wrote:

Latest versions has an option to merge across two segments from different paragraph. To enable this option go to Preferences > Merge across paragraphs (experimental)

Thank you,

John

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just what I needed Feb 19, 2015

That is exactly what I needed to know, and it seems to work perfectly. Thank you very much, John.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Override Segments do not belong to the same paragraph?

Translation news related to Wordfast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »