Upper/Lower case in source and target segments
Thread poster: neilmac

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2015

I'm actually embarrassed to ask this question, as I'd been using Wordfast classic a few years now and I suppose I should have found out how to do this kind of thing sooner.

I'd like to know if it is possible to set my WFC so that if the term in the source segment is in uppercase, the translation suggested by the TM also appears in uppercase. And vice versa.


 

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:42
English to French
+ ...
Pandora Box Feb 27, 2015

Check that KeepCaseAlways in PB is not enabled.

According the latest manual (dating back to 2012), "If the document's source segment is all uppercase, then Wordfast will change the target match of the TU it may find to uppercase as well - because this is usually necessary. However, this command will inhibit this behavior."

However, with quite a few PB commands having become deprecated without up-to-date documentation, it is hard to know if this specific command still works. Worth a try, anyway.


 

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:42
Member (2006)
French to English
PropagateCase in Pandora's box Feb 28, 2015

Hi Neilmac,

Try this command:
PropagateCase=X

Where X can be 0, 1, 2, 3.
0 is the default setting: the glossary's case is propagated as it is.
1 forces a propagation of the target term in all lower-case.
2 forces a propagation of the target term in all upper-case
3 tries to re-use the source term's case.

I use PropagateCase=3 and for terms that should never change case, I add {nc} in any one of the Comments, F1, F2, or F3 fields when adding the term. For example, if the source uses ESPAGNE and you want Spain in the target, if you try to re-use the source terms case, you would get SPAIN. By adding {nc}, you would get Spain.

Hope this makes sense!

John

Register today for the Wordfast Forward User Conference in Riga, Latvia - May 28-31, 2015 - www.wordfast.com/conference


 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PB settings Feb 28, 2015

JL01 wrote:

Check that KeepCaseAlways in PB is not enabled.

According the latest manual (dating back to 2012), "If the document's source segment is all uppercase, then Wordfast will change the target match of the TU it may find to uppercase as well - because this is usually necessary. However, this command will inhibit this behavior."

However, with quite a few PB commands having become deprecated without up-to-date documentation, it is hard to know if this specific command still works. Worth a try, anyway.


Keep_CaseAlways has an underscore, so should be disabled. I usually avoid tweaking this kind of thing because I don't have enough knowledge and don't trust myself to do it properly.


 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WF for Dummies required! Feb 28, 2015

John Di Rico wrote:

Hi Neilmac,

Try this command:
PropagateCase=X

Where X can be 0, 1, 2, 3.
0 is the default setting: the glossary's case is propagated as it is.
1 forces a propagation of the target term in all lower-case.
2 forces a propagation of the target term in all upper-case
3 tries to re-use the source term's case.

I use PropagateCase=3 and for terms that should never change case, I add {nc} in any one of the Comments, F1, F2, or F3 fields when adding the term. For example, if the source uses ESPAGNE and you want Spain in the target, if you try to re-use the source terms case, you would get SPAIN. By adding {nc}, you would get Spain.

Hope this makes sense!

John

Register today for the Wordfast Forward User Conference in Riga, Latvia - May 28-31, 2015 - www.wordfast.com/conference


Unfortunately, "try this command" doesn't tell me anything. I would need step-by-step instructions on how to do this.


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:42
Finnish to French
PB step-by-step Feb 28, 2015

neilmac wrote:
Unfortunately, "try this command" doesn't tell me anything. I would need step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

Here is what to do:

2015-02-28_1635.png

1. go to Setup > PB
2. tick Enable PB
3. press the Commands button to populate the list
4. remove the underscore from the command you wish to enable
5. (if applicable) change the argument for said command (eg. "3" instead of "0")


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:42
Finnish to French
TM matches are not affected by PropagateCase Feb 28, 2015

neilmac wrote:
I'd like to know if it is possible to set my WFC so that if the term in the source segment is in uppercase, the translation suggested by the TM also appears in uppercase. And vice versa.

Note that the PropagateCase PB command that was suggested to you only applies to situations where you have recognized glossary terms in the source segment and you use the CopySource function (Alt+S, or Alt+Insert).

It will not apply to TM matches. For these, you can manually change the case with a Word shortcut many people seem to be unaware of: Shift+F3.


 

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:42
English to French
+ ...
remove the underscore Feb 28, 2015

That is precisely your problem: disabling the command will NOT insert the TM as ALL CAPS is the source segment is in all caps.

neilmac wrote:


Keep_CaseAlways has an underscore, so should be disabled. I usually avoid tweaking this kind of thing because I don't have enough knowledge and don't trust myself to do it properly.


 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Mar 1, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Note that the PropagateCase PB command that was suggested to you only applies to situations where you have recognized glossary terms in the source segment and you use the CopySource function (Alt+S, or Alt+Insert).

It will not apply to TM matches. For these, you can manually change the case with a Word shortcut many people seem to be unaware of: Shift+F3.


Thanks Dominique for the step-by-step explanationicon_smile.gif I don't have a lot of terms in my glossaries, which is perhaps why I was having this issue. Shift+F3 will do me fine.

[Edited at 2015-03-01 11:15 GMT]


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upper/Lower case in source and target segments

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search