Unable to expand a segment in Wordfast Pro 3
Thread poster: Tatiana Grehan

Tatiana Grehan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:50
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 20, 2015

Hi! I am unable to expand a segment in Wordfast Pro 3 (i.e. to merge it with the next segment). I am getting an error message saying that the segments belong to different paragraphs (which is not true). Must be something to do with the way the original text was created (source file format - PowerPoint). Please help! It is essential that I merge these segments, otherwise the translation will be screwed up (it has to do with the fact that in the target language [Russian] the word order is the reverse of the source language [English], and the only way to resolve this issue is to merge the segments - or so I think, maybe somebody can offer another solution).

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:50
French to English
+ ...
Can you cheat it?! Mar 20, 2015

I have no experience with Wordfast Pro, but when using WFC, I have occasionally had to find a workaround for this sort of problem (though for different reasons). So I don't know if you could do the same sort of thing here...

I simply copy the text of what should be the second segment onto the end of the first segment (prior to opening the segment, of course!) — you can copy and paste it using paste special > unformatted text, and then see if that will open as a proper segment. If so, then before moving on to the next segment, you can just delete the now redundant text.

I don't know if this happens in WFP, but could it be to do with having a spurious line return in the text at that point? You could always try displaying hidden characters in order to try and see what is going on. I often find people put odd line returns into PPTs in order to force the layout, and they can be a right pain when working in CAT tools — especially if they are HARD returns!

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Known issue Mar 20, 2015

If you search, the same question was asked a few weeks ago. If I remember correctly, the solution proposed was to join the segments in Word before launching WF Pro.

United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tony: Mar 21, 2015

I have tried to copy the text from the 2nd segment into the 1st segment, and then expand the 1st segment, as you proposed. This does not work either. I decided to edit the first segment, so that it would include the text from both segments. Now I need to empty or delete the second segment. Do you know how to do it?

United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To JL01: Mar 21, 2015

Thanks for the advice, but I have been supplied with a txml file and was given specific instruction that I must work only with this file. I am not allowed to change or convert the source file myself, unfortunately.

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just translate as you would need to and leave the segments as unconfirmed Mar 21, 2015

Easiest thing to do in these cases is to "ignore" the source segments and translate the target segments so that once the document is reconstructed the translation will be correct.

Just leave the segments as unconfirmed so that they don't update the TM.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Don't change the txml Mar 21, 2015

otherwise the client may have problems with converting to target.

Just translate both segments as you should translate them in a single segment (ignore the word order etc in the source); alternatively place the whole translation in the first segment and place just "." in the second one (don't leave empty).

Add notes to both segments, and drop a note to the PM when delivering.

United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Alex! Mar 21, 2015

I think I shall do just what you've proposed.

JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:50
French to English
Merge across paragraphs? Mar 21, 2015

I don't know if it helps but, when I raised a similar question, I was told to go to Preferences, Translation, and make sure "Merge across paragraphs (experimental)" was checked. This seemed to work.

United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Natalie! Mar 21, 2015

Could you please advise what are the possible complications of leaving a segment empty?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
No major complications Mar 21, 2015

besides that Wordfast will notify about an empty segment and will probably refuse to convert to target. Therefore it is better to put ANYTHING in the segment in order not to leave it quite empty. If the sentence will be in the 1st segment, and the fullstop in the 2nd, it would be fine.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:50
Finnish to French
Seems to work with PowerPoint Mar 21, 2015

JohnWhi wrote:
I don't know if it helps but, when I raised a similar question, I was told to go to Preferences, Translation, and make sure "Merge across paragraphs (experimental)" was checked. This seemed to work.

I thought this wouldn't work with PowerPoint, but it seems to work. Here is an example of hard returns in the original PowerPoint:

and what you get after joining the segments:

A bit ugly (three tags for a single paragraph mark), but you can get the bits that belong together in the same cell.

United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To JohnWhi: Mar 21, 2015

It actually worked! Thanks a lot, John! Also a big "thank you" to everybody, who contributed to this discussion, it's greatly appreciated!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to expand a segment in Wordfast Pro 3

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search