Slow segmentation in WF Classic v.6.13 (Word file with Excel tables)
Thread poster: kterelak
kterelak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:28
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 22, 2015

Dear All

I have the following problem.

I am translating a word file containing financial statements. The file contains Excel tables with financial figures pasted into the Word file. What's worse the tables were pasted with comments to cells (although they are not visible in the Word file).

I guess this is the cause of very slow segmentation now, as going from one segment to the next one simetimes lasts a few seconds. What's worse I cannot use Translate until no match function (there are many 100% matches), as I get messages about macros security issues. Sometimes, I also see the message: "!!!Some rows in this table have a fixed height. This can slow down segmentation!!!"

I did not have any problems with it in the past, that's why WF was my CAT of choice for this job.

Any ideas how to get rid of the problem?

Cheers
Katarzyna

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:28
Finnish to French
Fixed height table rows Mar 22, 2015

Katarzyna Terelak wrote:
Sometimes, I also see the message: "!!!Some rows in this table have a fixed height. This can slow down segmentation!!!"

This message means exactly what it says.

Instead of this:

you need to untick Specify height, which will make row height automatic. Thus Wordfast will be able to expand vertically, which it needs in order to be able to open a segment in a translation session.

Finnish to French
Advice Mar 22, 2015

Katarzyna Terelak wrote:
I am translating a word file containing financial statements. The file contains Excel tables with financial figures pasted into the Word file.

Frankly, you shouldn't use Classic with such Word documents, at least not directly. Either translate in Pro (or Anywhere), or use this workaround, if you prefer to do the actual translation in Classic.

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well, thank you, but... Mar 22, 2015

Hi,

Thanks for advice.

I found the solution with row height before, but the problem is that the file contains about 100 tables, so unchecking the box in Table properties will take longer than slow operation of WF. And I can see that the format of tables changes.

Second, I do not have Wordfast PRO.

Thanks anyway
Katarzyna

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
WFP is free Mar 22, 2015

You can try WFP for free, only the TM size is restricted, AFAIK.

Finnish to French
Anywhere Mar 22, 2015

Katarzyna Terelak wrote:
Second, I do not have Wordfast PRO.

This is why I also mentioned Anywhere, which is totally free. Also note that for the workaround I mentioned, you can use Pro in demo mode.

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 22, 2015

Hi,

I had a licenced WF Pro in the past on the same computer, so I guess I cannot use a demo version now, anyway. Apart from that, the file and TM are pretty large.

WF Anywhere looks promising, though. But, I have a lot of comments to cells from Excel that were pasted together with Excel tables, and the customer does not want them to be translated. Also, there are many of them, so again I would need to spend a lot of time to delete them.

Do you know how to make WF Anywhere skip such textboxes?

Thanks in advance.

Katarzyna

Finnish to French
Pro in demo mode + Anywhere Mar 22, 2015

Katarzyna Terelak wrote:
I had a licenced WF Pro in the past on the same computer, so I guess I cannot use a demo version now, anyway. Apart from that, the file and TM are pretty large.

Having had Wordfast Pro running in full version mode on your computer will not affect in any way the ability to reinstall it on that same computer and use it in demo mode.

The size of the document won't be a problem in demo mode. However, you won't be able to use your large TM, but this won't be a problem if you do the translation in Classic (as suggested in the workaround I mentioned).

Katarzyna Terelak wrote:
WF Anywhere looks promising, though. But, I have a lot of comments to cells from Excel that were pasted together with Excel tables, and the customer does not want them to be translated. Also, there are many of them, so again I would need to spend a lot of time to delete them.

Do you know how to make WF Anywhere skip such textboxes?

You don't have much to lose by trying: uploading your file in Anywhere will only take a few seconds and you'll see right away what happens to your comments.

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did it the hard way... Mar 22, 2015

Hello again

Thanks again for your advice, but I decided to install previous version (5) of Wordfast Classic. When I used it, I had no speed issues with such files, and it worked...

Cheers
Katarzyna

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try this macro Mar 25, 2015

Katarzyna Terelak wrote:
Sometimes, I also see the message: "!!!Some rows in this table have a fixed height. This can slow down segmentation!!!"

Sub tablesconvert_rowheight()
For Each aTable In ActiveDocument.Tables
aTable.Rows.HeightRule = wdRowHeightAuto
Next aTable
End Sub

This macro will remove all row heights from all tables in the document (I think... it worked on my test file, but try it on yours).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slow segmentation in WF Classic v.6.13 (Word file with Excel tables)

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search