Unable to search and find a single word being part of a sentence in glossary.
Thread poster: Dubin
Dubin
French to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 8, 2015

Hello,

I'm starting to use Wordfast Classic, just with glossaries.
I don't use memory translations, because I don't have never the source texts in digital format.

So, I'm not interested in MT, I just need to add terms, now and then, to my glossaries, and also now and then, to search for some words or terms in the same glossaries.

I used to do this without Wordfast, using Excel glossaries.
I thought I could have a try with Wordfast, because is quicker to add terms into glossaries and I don't have to quit Microsoft Word and go to Excel to write the term.

But there's a big problem. I'll try to explain it with an example:
For instance, I have this Spanish source text an English target text in my glossary:
"Régimen Especial de Trabajadores por Cuenta Propia o Autónomos":
"Special Scheme for Sole Traders or Self-Employed workers"

Now, if I want to search only for the word "autónomos", because I remember that I've already translated that word, and I look for the word using Wordfast, there's no way to find that sentence in the txt glossary.
But if I look for that word directly in the txt or in the excel glossary, I find it easily and I can use the translation after reading that "autónomos" in English is "Self-Employed workers"

My question is:
Is there a way in Wordfast to search and find a single word that is part of a long sentence in a glossary?

If the answer is no, I think I'll have to continue using my Excel glossaries out of Wordfast.
Because the thing is I can't find any CAT tool or Microsoft Word add-in that I could use with a glossary and search and find single words in glossaries.

Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:11
Finnish to French
Ctrl+Alt+G (or Ctrl+Alt+G+G) Apr 8, 2015

Dubin wrote:
Is there a way in Wordfast to search and find a single word that is part of a long sentence in a glossary?

The shortcut for that is Ctrl+Alt+G (or Ctrl+Alt+G+G, if you want the term pair to be displayed in a separate "companion" window). However, it's supposed to be used on the source text, and you said you don't have the source text in digital form. Ctrl+Alt+G+G seems to work on target terms, though. Just experiment with either shortcut and see if they work for you.

If you are using Word 2007 or newer, Ctrl+Alt+G displays a drop-down menu under the Add-ins tab.

One benefit of such a limited use of Wordfast Classic is you won't need a license: there are no restrictions whatsoever related to the use of glossaries.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try a reference search instead Apr 8, 2015

Dubin wrote:
"Régimen Especial de Trabajadores por Cuenta Propia o Autónomos":
"Special Scheme for Sole Traders or Self-Employed workers"
Now, if I want to search only for the word "autónomos", because I remember that I've already translated that word, and I look for the word using Wordfast, there's no way to find that sentence in the glossary.

Yes, WFC's glossary feature works on whole entries only (and on fuzzy matches of whole entries, but one word out of nine will not yield a fuzzy match).

What you can do, instead, is to place the glossary inside a folder, and set up that folder as the "reference" folder (WFC > Terminology > Reference > press Insert). The shortcut for a reference search is Ctrl+Alt+N.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Dominique Apr 8, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
The shortcut for that is Ctrl+Alt+G (or Ctrl+Alt+G+G, if you want the term pair to be displayed in a separate "companion" window). However, it's supposed to be used on the source text, and you said you don't have the source text in digital form.

For me (Word 2003), Ctrl+Alt+G outside of a segment produces the "dropdown" glossary toolbar. However, Ctrl+Alt+G only works on whole glossary entries, and not on individual words within glossary entries.

Dubin
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 8, 2015

What you can do, instead, is to place the glossary inside a folder, and set up that folder as the "reference" folder (WFC > Terminology > Reference > press Insert). The shortcut for a reference search is Ctrl+Alt+N.

Thank you, Samuel, that's what I needed.
Yesterday I spent almost one hour browsing in internet looking for this or for something similar to this.
As I see, it's better asking in a forum.

Your suggestion works perfectly for me.
Thank you again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to search and find a single word being part of a sentence in glossary.

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search