Thread poster: Sue Davis

Sue Davis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:56
Member (2015)
French to English
Apr 13, 2015

Hi
I have recently bought Wordfast Pro 3 through proz. I am having two problems.

1. My current client has sent me a translation memory as a tmx file. I can upload it into wordfast, but cannot open it to use as I get the error message that it does not correspond with the source and target languages. The memory should be FR-EN-US which is the direction of my translation but I am getting the message that the memory is the other way round ie EN-US as source and FR as target.

2. My current client also wants me to send a clean file (which is fine) and a bilingual file. However when I save my work as a bilingual file (without placeholders) and open it only the English text appears (i.e. no French).

I would be grateful for your speedy help! translation is due in first thing on Wednesday 15th.

thanks
Sue

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:56
Finnish to French
TMX and bilingual files Apr 13, 2015

1. A TMX memory has no direction: if you import your EN-FR TMX into a Wordfast Pro project that has FR as source and EN as target, you should get a usable native FR > EN Wordfast TM. Did you create an FR > EN project to begin with?

2. "bilingual" can mean many things. The TXML file format Wordfast Pro uses natively is bilingual. It is supported by quite a few tools, in addition to Wordfast Pro itself. You may therefore want to ask your client what tool they are using and - consequently - what kind of bilingual format they are expecting.

As to the Word bilingual document you obtained with Wordfast Pro, it contains source texts formatted as hidden text. This may explain why you are seeing only English texts (assuming French is source and English target). Just make hidden texts visible in Word and you will see the French texts (and the segment delimiters, which are also formatted as hidden text).

Sue Davis  Identity Verified
France
Member (2015)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Mant thanks Apr 14, 2015

Hi Dominique

Many thanks for your reply. I;m afraid I am a beginner with CAT tools. My client uses Trados, could you recommend the best bilingual Wordfast format for my document?

Thanks
Sue

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:56
Finnish to French
Trados Apr 14, 2015

Like "bilingual", "Trados" can mean several things, eg. "Trados Translator's Workbench" (the "old" Trados), or "SDL Trados Studio" (the "new" Trados).

In your case, it's probably the "old" Trados, based on the fact they are talking about "cleaning", which is jargon that belongs to Workbench.

With Wordfast Pro, you can provide two versions of the documents you have translated: 1) the "clean" (translated, monolingual) version that you obtain via File > Save Translated File, and 2) the "unclean" (bilingual) version that you obtain via File > Save as > Type = WFC bilingual.

The "unclean" version thus obtained can be used by a Trados (or Wordfast Classic) user to update their TM. It cannot be used for reviewing purposes, nor to generate the "clean" version. If they want something bilingual to perform a review on, you should send them a bilingual review, which you can obtain via the Bilingual Export tab of the PM Perspective of Wordfast Pro.

Sara Buzadzhi
United States
Local time: 16:56
Member (2014)
Russian to English
Thanks, Dominique! Apr 22, 2015

This was a very helpful summary for me as well.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sue Apr 23, 2015

Sue Davis wrote:
My current client has sent me a translation memory as a tmx file. I can upload it into wordfast...

When you say "upload", I assume you mean "load" (or in the WFP case, "import"). (To me, upload means putting something onto a network, such as the internet.)

The memory should be FR-EN-US which is the direction of my translation but I am getting the message that the memory is the other way round ie EN-US as source and FR as target.

I tested it with an EN-AF TM and was able to import it as an AF-EN TM by simply selecting the correct languages. In WFP, go "Translation Memory" > "New/Select TM", then on the left click "TM List" and then on the right click the "Add TM" button. Then "Browse" for your TMX file, and once its path is shown in the "Location:" field, select the correct source and target languages on that same dialog.

However when I save my work as a bilingual file (without placeholders) and open it only the English text appears (i.e. no French).

If you see only the target text language, then do what Dominique said: in your version of MS Word, set the program to show hidden text. Try pressing Shift+Ctrl+*.

If you see only the source text language, then here's a quirk: if you try to save a bilingual DOC file from WFP, and a DOC file with that name already exists in the place where WFP is trying to save it, WFP will quietly do nothing, i.e. it will simply not save anything, so that the existing file remains. If the existing file happens to be the source document, well... then that would explain why you can see only the source text in it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wordfast pro bilingual documents and importing memory

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search