Importing previously translated word docs to create local TMs/glossaries in Wordfast Pro 3.4.3.
Thread poster: Sara Buzadzhi

Sara Buzadzhi
United States
Local time: 15:02
Member (2014)
Russian to English
Apr 22, 2015

Hi, I've tried searching for this, but am not sure it's possible/desirable...my rookie question is this:

I've just started using Wordfast Pro 3.4.3, my first CAT tool, and am wondering if there is a quick way to import previously completed translations to quickly create one or more good local TMs/glossaries.

So for example, say I have some previously translated company charters with a lot of standard clauses that I would like to have access to in a local TM/glossary. I have the Russian original in .docx and the English translation in .docx. Any shortcut procedure to import them both into Wordfast so they'll go into a local TM, beyond starting a new project w/a Russian source file and copy-pasting the English translation in one segment at a time?

Sorry if this has already been covered!

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:02
Finnish to French
Alignment Apr 22, 2015

In order to obtain a TM from an existing source document and its translation, you need to use an aligner. Wordfast Pro includes an aligner of its own, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it's sub-par IMO.

I would suggest using either the Wordfast Online Aligner included with Wordfast Anywhere (create yourself a free account at www.freetm.com if you haven't got one), or LF Aligner.

I've made a couple of videos showing how to use LF Aligner on Windows and Mac:

Windows -> https://youtu.be/OtEQr0TawVA
Mac -> https://youtu.be/MzAdLrsJxms

Sara Buzadzhi
United States
Local time: 15:02
Member (2014)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Apr 27, 2015

Thanks, Dominique! Appreciate it, very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing previously translated word docs to create local TMs/glossaries in Wordfast Pro 3.4.3.

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search