Thread poster: Mark Hamlen

Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:58
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
May 10, 2015

After years of using WFC, I've just bought and installed WFP and I'm confused (and starting to regret the expense).

1. A simple text in Word (in French) opened like this with tags around EVERY WORD

{ut1}La{ut2} {ut3}responsabilité{ut4} {ut5}du{ut6} {ut7}BENEFICIAIRE{ut8} {ut9}peut{ut10} {ut11}être{ut12} {ut13}engagée{ut14} {ut15}s'il{ut16} {ut17}s'avère{ut18} {ut19}que{ut20} {ut21}la{ut22} {ut23}résiliation{ut24} {ut25}anticipée{ut26} {ut27}de{ut28} {ut29}la{ut30} {ut31}présente{ut32} {ut33}autorisation{ut34} {ut35}est{ut36} {ut37}susceptible{ut38} {ut39}d'avoir{ut40} {ut41}des{ut42} {ut43}conséquences{ut44} {ut45}financières{ut46} {ut47}pour{ut48} {ut49}le{ut50} {ut51}CONCEDANT{ut52} {ut53}ou{ut54} {ut55}pour{ut56} {ut57}le{ut58} {ut59}CONCESSIONNAIRE,{ut60} {ut61}hormis{ut62} {ut63}la{ut64} {ut65}perte{ut66} {ut67}de{ut68} {ut69}recettes{ut70} {ut71}dues{ut72} {ut73}à{ut74} {ut75}l'absence{ut76} {ut77}de{ut78} {ut79}versement{ut80} {ut81}de{ut82} {ut83}la{ut84} {ut85}redevance.

There is no earthly reason I can see for this. What's going on?

2. I can't see any way to keep TMs synched between WFP and WFC, that will become annoying for someone like me who plans to use both programmes and wants to keep the TMs up to date regardless of whether I use Pro or Classic for a given job.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:58
Finnish to French
Try Translator Tools May 10, 2015

Try running the Document Cleaner function of Translator Tools.

Finnish to French
Syncing TM's May 10, 2015

Mark Hamlen wrote:
2. I can't see any way to keep TMs synched between WFP and WFC, that will become annoying for someone like me who plans to use both programmes and wants to keep the TMs up to date regardless of whether I use Pro or Classic for a given job.

WFP and WFC both use the same file format, so no need for conversion. The same TM can be selected (from the same location) in both tools, you only need to make sure a translation is not going on at the same time in both (WFP needs exclusive access to its TM's). It should therefore be easy to keep your TM's in sync.

It's glossaries that are more problematic, since WFP insists on storing them in a certain location, using its own format. A typical WFP glossary will be:

C:\Users\[username]\.wf_workspace\glossaries\g_1.txt

Other glossaries (stored in the same folder) will be called g_2.txt, g_3.txt etc.

If you want to use the same glossaries in WFP and WFC, you'll have to import your existing WFC glossaries into WFP, and then select them in WFC from the above mentioned folder. Not very user-friendly to have glossaries displayed as g_1.txt, g_2.txt etc. in WFC, but it should work nonetheless.

France
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dominique May 11, 2015

The Trans Tools did not clean this. Strange, because the origin of the file is a PDF that went through FineReader and was sent to Word as an unformatted text, which should have removed all of the formatting that FineReader creates.

As for the TMs, I see now that they are shared. Bravo. Just wish I understood all of the accessory files that go with the TM (there's a bak, a lock, an xps, an idg). But I don't really need to understand these.

The problem with the glossaries is actually minor for me.

Thanks again.

Finnish to French
Auxiliary TM files May 11, 2015

Mark Hamlen wrote:
As for the TMs, I see now that they are shared. Bravo. Just wish I understood all of the accessory files that go with the TM (there's a bak, a lock, an xps, an idg). But I don't really need to understand these.

You can safely ignore all the auxiliary TM files. WFP and WFC have their own: for instance, a WFP index file has the extension .jtx, while the index file of a WFC TM is .itx, WFP uses a lock file, while WFC uses none etc. All these files can be re-created from scratch if needed. The only ones that matter are those with the extension .txt, that's where the beef is and those are are the ones you should back up as often as possible.

Finnish to French
Strange May 11, 2015

Mark Hamlen wrote:
The Trans Tools did not clean this. Strange, because the origin of the file is a PDF that went through FineReader and was sent to Word as an unformatted text, which should have removed all of the formatting that FineReader creates.

It's strange TransTools couldn't clean up the mess, and even stranger you got all this mess if you saved as unformatted text. One trick that should work is selecting all text in the offending document and pasting it as unformatted in a brand-new document.

My version of FineReader (10) has four different levels for retaining layout when saving to Word:

2015-05-11_1018.png

Which one did you select? "Formatted text" still retains something (compared to "Plain text").

France
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Probably because of my later formatting May 11, 2015

I sent it to Word as plain text and then I formatted it. (What I normally do with the conversions.) It may be because I change the font using select all and then font and then I select bits of text that need to be formatted in other ways. There is probably a base format that is then over-ridden in Word on a word-by-word basis. Something like that. I may have to change my habits or just do the conversions in WFC.

Stanislav Okhvat
English to Russian
Tags in Word document May 11, 2015

Hello, Mark,

Would you be able to send me several sentences from your Word document (in the original format) so I can investigate why TransTools could not clean the tags? Hopefully I will find out the reason for these tags and include a change in one of the next versions of TransTools.

You can send this to info_AT_translatortools_DOT_net

Thanks.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
Translator Tools – Useful tools for every translator

France
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just sent, Stanislav May 11, 2015

I just sent you the entire file (there's nothing confidential in it).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags in WPF excessive

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search