Thread poster: Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 11:49
French to English
+ ...
May 11, 2015

I have to quote a client for the translation of a flyer and a brochure.
The flyer is shorter than the brochure and uses some of the same text.

How can I use Wordfast (Pro) to find out the number of repetitions in the flyer without translating the brochure?

I've created a new project and saved both files as txml, but when I run Analyze I'm not getting the repetition and fuzzy matches stats that I know I should be getting. What have I not done right?

Th
... See more
I have to quote a client for the translation of a flyer and a brochure.
The flyer is shorter than the brochure and uses some of the same text.

How can I use Wordfast (Pro) to find out the number of repetitions in the flyer without translating the brochure?

I've created a new project and saved both files as txml, but when I run Analyze I'm not getting the repetition and fuzzy matches stats that I know I should be getting. What have I not done right?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
Finnish to French
Internal fuzzy matches May 11, 2015

The relevant setting in Wordfast Pro is Calculate Internal Fuzzy matches, located under the Analyze tab of the PM Perspective.

For an explanation of this feature in several CAT tools (including Wordfast Pro) that support it, see:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/09/22/internal-fuzzy-matches-explained/

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
PS: May 11, 2015

You don't need to use a TM for that feature to work, nor to translate the document(s) (analyzing it/them is sufficient). And it doesn't matter if the source content to analyze is found in a single document or scattered over several documents.

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Reunion
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dominique May 11, 2015

Thanks Dominique!

I did wonder if the feature was to be found in PM perspective; I'm not very familiar with it apart from when I generate bilingual files.

P.S. You say "You don't need to use a TM for that feature to work" but when you click on Analyze it says "Please select at least one TM" if you haven't selected one.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Use an empty TM! May 11, 2015

Catharine Cellier-Smart wrote:
P.S. You say "You don't need to use a TM for that feature to work" but when you click on Analyze it says "Please select at least one TM" if you haven't selected one.

Sorry, if so, just create a new one and select that for the analysis!

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:49
French to English
+ ...
Blank TM May 12, 2015

I have a permanent TM called "Blank for analysis", which is the one I always use for word counts.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Same here May 12, 2015

B D Finch wrote:
I have a permanent TM called "Blank for analysis", which is the one I always use for word counts.

Same... mine is called "dummy TM", but it serves the exact same purpose.

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Reunion
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea May 13, 2015

Thanks, Samuel & BD, that's a good idea.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding repetitions & fuzzy matches in 2 similar documents

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »