Thread poster: Fiona Robson

Fiona Robson
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:36
Member (2005)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 15, 2015

I have installed Wordfast Pro on Windows 8, the files are on my hard drive, the icon is on my desktop... but the program will not open - an error message says "The configuration area at C:\Users\user could not be created. Please choose a writable location using the '-configuration' command line option.
Any idea how to fix this?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:36
Finnish to French
Username? May 15, 2015

Under what username are you logged in in Windows? Under normal conditions, your username would be something like "Fiona", and a folder with the path c:\user\fiona would be created to your hard drive, with full access to it when logged to that account.

Now it seems that your username is "user". Was your Windows 8 machine configured for you by someone else (computer technician etc.)? If so, they may have granted insufficient rights to your account.

Fiona Robson
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:36
Member (2005)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Invalid configuration location May 15, 2015

Hi Dominique - The program is stored under "this PC>windows (C:)> program files>Wordfast, I am the sole user, with full administrator rights (Windows 8 has a default setting of no administrator rights, but I have changed that). It's not even stored under "User", so I don't know what that message is about. My regular documents are under "User" (which is just me, no name specified).

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:36
Finnish to French
Two folders used by Wordfast Pro May 15, 2015

When installed in Windows, Wordfast Pro needs access to two different folders: 1) c:\program files\wordfast, and 2) c:\users\[username]. Under c:\users\[username], Wordfast Pro needs to create three folders of its own, that all start with a dot (.): .eclipse, .gs4tr, .wf_workspace.

Maybe the installer is confused by the fact the username on your system is called "user". If you have a second account, try to log on to that account and see if you can install Wordfast Pro under that account. If you haven't got a second account, create one and see if it works.

If you have a working copy of Wordfast on an older computer, you could also try to manually copy the three folders I mentioned (together with their content), from your old computer to the new one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invalid configuration location

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search