Thread poster: Terry Richards
Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 15:32
French to English
+ ...
Jun 11, 2015

I have about 50 word documents that each contain a large table. In this table, there are 2 columns of interest to me - source and target text. I would like to convert these documents to a WordFast Classic TM (or a TMX that I can then convert to a WF TM).

I've had a look at the internals of the TM file and I see that it is tab delimited and contains several columns. I can identify 4 of these columns - the two language codes, the source text and the target text - but the others are a
... See more
I have about 50 word documents that each contain a large table. In this table, there are 2 columns of interest to me - source and target text. I would like to convert these documents to a WordFast Classic TM (or a TMX that I can then convert to a WF TM).

I've had a look at the internals of the TM file and I see that it is tab delimited and contains several columns. I can identify 4 of these columns - the two language codes, the source text and the target text - but the others are a bit of a mystery.

Is there any simple way to convert these documents to a TM? I can write macros or even a Windows application if necessary. I can also manipulate these files within Word as necessary.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:32
Finnish to French
Excel Jun 11, 2015

You have a number of options, but I would use Excel. Open a dummy Wordfast TM with just a couple of entries in Excel. Paste your columns of interest (source and target) at the correct place. Populate all other columns by copying data from the dummy entries. Save as text (Unicode) and you should have a working TM.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
PlusTools Jun 11, 2015

Use +Align of PlusTools.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Same Jun 11, 2015

esperantisto wrote:
Use +Align of PlusTools.

Yes, if the document contains just a table with two columns, then the alignment feature in PlusTools will create a TM for you. I'm not sure if PlusTools also works if the table has rows of different lengths.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:32
German to English
+ ...
Reorganize Jun 11, 2015

... and then it's probably advisable to select that TM from WordFast Setup (icon or Ctrl-Alt-W) and Reorganize it.
WFC may do that automatically - I don't know because I explicitly ask it to reorganize whenever I think this might be necessary, e.g. after I've used a text editor to delete lines beginning with "xx". In theory WF has discarded these lines because I've replaced the target-language translation with a better (I hope!) one, and WF's "Reorganize" doesn't actually remove them (I'm
... See more
... and then it's probably advisable to select that TM from WordFast Setup (icon or Ctrl-Alt-W) and Reorganize it.
WFC may do that automatically - I don't know because I explicitly ask it to reorganize whenever I think this might be necessary, e.g. after I've used a text editor to delete lines beginning with "xx". In theory WF has discarded these lines because I've replaced the target-language translation with a better (I hope!) one, and WF's "Reorganize" doesn't actually remove them (I'm using version 5.92 - perhaps later ones do this deletion).
Oliver
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Repair and compact TM Jun 12, 2015

Oliver Walter wrote:
WFC may do that automatically - I don't know because I explicitly ask it to reorganize whenever I think this might be necessary, e.g. after I've used a text editor to delete lines beginning with "xx". In theory WF has discarded these lines because I've replaced the target-language translation with a better (I hope!) one, and WF's "Reorganize" doesn't actually remove them (I'm using version 5.92 - perhaps later ones do this deletion).

In the Data editor, Tools > TM Tools > Repair and compact TM will remove the "xx" entries.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Oliver Jun 12, 2015

Oliver Walter wrote:
In theory WF has discarded these lines because I've replaced the target-language translation with a better (I hope!) one, and WF's "Reorganize" doesn't actually remove them (I'm using version 5.92 - perhaps later ones do this deletion).

I thought "reorganise" just recreates the index, and if you want to remove deleted segments, you have to do so in the data editor.

Oliver Walter
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Samuel & Dominique: thanks Jun 12, 2015

Thanks for that information, which was new to me. Perhaps I didn't read enough of the manual (Wordfast.doc). I'll try it next time I want to remove some xx lines.

Oliver

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Okapi Olifant… Jun 12, 2015

… can repair entries with invalid attributes (such as beginning with xx).

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Jun 12, 2015

Thanks to all who made suggestions.

To those who suggested +Align, I wasn't aware that it could align segments within the same document. In fact, I haven't used it much - I played with it a couple of times and the results didn't much encourage me to investigate it further. Perhaps I gave up too easily and should add it to my "round to it" list.

Dominique: I tried your suggestion and did get a TM that WF seemed to recognize but Olifant couldn't open it which concerned m
... See more
Thanks to all who made suggestions.

To those who suggested +Align, I wasn't aware that it could align segments within the same document. In fact, I haven't used it much - I played with it a couple of times and the results didn't much encourage me to investigate it further. Perhaps I gave up too easily and should add it to my "round to it" list.

Dominique: I tried your suggestion and did get a TM that WF seemed to recognize but Olifant couldn't open it which concerned me a bit. I tried both opening it and importing it into an empty TM. However, you got me on the right track as, while trying to import it, I noticed that Olifant can import tab-delimited text files. That's something I can easily create from the Word docs:

For each doc:

1) Delete the unused columns from the table
2) Convert the table to text using the tab option for the column delimiter
3) Select all
4) Copy
5) Paste to the end of a master text file.

One time:

6) After processing all documents, import the tabbed text into an empty TM using Olifant.
7) Save as a WF TM.
8) Celebrate wildly.

Note that steps 1-4 (and possibly 5) can be done in a macro.

I tried this on one document and got a TM that both WF and Olifant seem to like.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Olifant has problems of its own Jun 12, 2015

esperantisto wrote:
… can repair entries with invalid attributes (such as beginning with xx).

First of all, entries beginning with "xx" are not invalid: they're just marked for deletion. Secondly, you don't need Olifant to delete them permanently: Wordfast has a function of its own for that (which I already mentioned). Thirdly, Olifant can corrupt your Wordfast TM's in several ways: for instance, if you have entries containing the ampersand character ("Black & Decker", "Standard & Poor's" etc.), open your TM in Olifant, make whatever changes there and save it back to the Wordfast TM format, these entries will be botched.

Olifant hasn't been developed for years (it's seems to be mostly "abandonware") and I wouldn't recommend using it with Wordfast TM's. If you really need to manipulate a Wordfast TM outside of its own environment, export it as TMX and use Heartsome TMX Editor. It's also abandonware, but was still alive a couple of years ago and is available for Mac (and even Linux, for those who care) as well.

Oliver Walter
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Not in this one Jun 13, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
In the Data editor, Tools > TM Tools > Repair and compact TM will remove the "xx" entries.
Not available in the WFC that I'm using (5.92m) - unless it's hidden somewhere that I haven't found. The only tabs in
Data editor > Tools
are Filter, Sort and Replace.
I (a few minutes ago) used Data Editor > Tools > Sort to sort on "Date" and the "xx" lines were then all at the end, which made it easy to delete them as a single multi-line block using a text editor. (My current favourite is Notepad++, and sometimes EditPad Lite.)

To have Tools > TM Tools available, I probably need a later version of WF, but I won't upgrade today because 5.92 is good for virtually everything I want to do. I'll probably upgrade when I transfer my work to a newer computer (which, I've told myself for the past several months, I'm going to do soon!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating WF classic TM

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »