https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/289930-wfp_345_segmentation_mess.html

WFP 3.4.5 - Segmentation Mess
Thread poster: Pargeo
Pargeo
Pargeo
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 21, 2015

I did a bit of experimentation with the subject (got a bit of free time), and this is what I found out so far:

With 'wfsegmentation.properties' activated and no additional options selected (nothing in 'End of segment markers', Space, Tab, NBSP, CR, LF all unselected, A number followed by an ESM ends a segment, An ESM without trailing space ends a segment and An ESM followed by a space followed by a lower-case letter ends a segment' unselected as well, the segmentation proceeds relat
... See more
I did a bit of experimentation with the subject (got a bit of free time), and this is what I found out so far:

With 'wfsegmentation.properties' activated and no additional options selected (nothing in 'End of segment markers', Space, Tab, NBSP, CR, LF all unselected, A number followed by an ESM ends a segment, An ESM without trailing space ends a segment and An ESM followed by a space followed by a lower-case letter ends a segment' unselected as well, the segmentation proceeds relatively normally, i.e. each sentence is placed in a separate segment, segments break at each colon etc.
However, if I select ANY of the above options, the text is segmented paragraph-wise (i.e. end-of-sentence dots are ignored, and the segment only ends with CR.) which I have to correct by using 'Shrink Segment' command.

Why? Is it a bug or a feature designed to deceive a novice and force him to buy a training course?

A note - there is no help page on the segmentation settings - 'Page not found'.
Collapse

Pargeo
Pargeo
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:26
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solved Aug 24, 2015

Mystery solved (thanks to WFP community): apparently, if I insert any symbol in the 'End of segment markers' field on 'Segmentation Settings' dialog box, rather than being added to the list of the end-of-segment symbols, it OVERRIDES the standard settings defined in '***segmentation.properties' file.

I wish Help page said something about it though - the entire dialog box is rather inconsistent.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFP 3.4.5 - Segmentation Mess

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »