Restoring old or bak glossary/TM files in Wordfast Classic
Thread poster: Claire Cox

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:58
French to English
+ ...
Sep 21, 2015

Help! I was setting up my TM and glossaries for a translation I intended to do in Wordfast Classic this afternoon, when there was a very brief power cut. When I switched everything back on, my TM and glossary had disappeared and now show in my file list as 0 KB, even though they were both substantial files. I thought you could restore them from the bak file in the Wordfast set-up screen, but I get the message that the file type isn't supported. The bak file for the glossary is also now showing as 0 KB, so I'm at my wits' end how to restore them. Any ideas gratefully received. Unfortunately, it backs up to Dropbox, which means the corrupt version had already saved across to my other (open) computer - aaagh!

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:58
Finnish to French
Rename .bak and/or .old to .txt Sep 21, 2015

You need to change the extension from .bak (or .old) to .txt in order for Wordfast to be able to recognize the file as a valid TM. Just in case, rename them as follows:

wfmemory.bak -> wfmemory2.txt
wfmemory.old -> wfmemory3.txt

As to Dropbox, you may want to open your cloud folder in your browser, as Dropbox may have saved older versions of your TM. Once your file is selected there, pick up Previous versions from the More dropdown menu.

Note that Dropbox is primarily a syncing software, not a backup software...

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 21, 2015

Many thanks, Dominique,

A colleague has just given me much the same advice and I'm so relieved to report that opening in Notepad and saving the bak or old file as txt does indeed work. Phew! I do back up to Mozy as well, so that would have been my next step. I didn't realise that you could retrieve older versions on Dropbox, however, so that's very useful to remember just in case it ever happens again. I've never had this in all the years I've been using Wordfast - no idea why it happened. I suspect I was analysing the file at the precise moment the power cut struck....

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:58
Finnish to French
Rename (or copy) in Windows Explorer Sep 21, 2015

Just a side note: I would rather copy the .bak/.old file under another name in Windows Explorer (just drag & drop holding the Ctrl key), and then change the extension to .txt, rather than opening in Notepad and saving from there. Especially if the file is large (as is often the case with a TM you have been growing for a long time), as Notepad isn’t particularly efficient with large files.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did try this first... Sep 21, 2015

... having searched online for a solution before calling for help, but it didn't work for some reason. It could be because the bak file for the glossary was also corrupt, so it was the "old" version that eventually worked. I'll bear that in mind for the future, though, if it ever happens again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Restoring old or bak glossary/TM files in Wordfast Classic

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search