For Word docs, when do you use WFP and when do you use WFC?
Thread poster: Reed James

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 18:49
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2015

I've always wondered if there is a rationale for using WFP or WFC for Word docs. Any thoughts?

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:49
English to French
+ ...
2 words: text boxes Oct 12, 2015

For Word documents, I use WFP only when the document is unusually complicated. Essentially text boxes, but also multiple and/or large graphics, complicated columns and other formatting such as paragraph numbering, although Office 2010 is better in the latter respect than earlier editions.

Otherwise, having to deal with WFP (such as project management) is not worth the hassle.

Reed D James wrote:

I've always wondered if there is a rationale for using WFP or WFC for Word docs. Any thoughts?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:49
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
WFP = texts on graphic Oct 13, 2015

JL01 wrote:

For Word documents, I use WFP only when the document is unusually complicated. Essentially text boxes, but also multiple and/or large graphics, complicated columns and other formatting such as paragraph numbering, although Office 2010 is better in the latter respect than earlier editions.

Otherwise, having to deal with WFP (such as project management) is not worth the hassle.

Certain word documents have texts on text boxes or graphic e.g. Word Art. I usually use WFP in this part since it is simple to handle.

Soonthon L.

Dan Ilioiu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 01:49
English to Romanian
+ ...
simple vs complex docs Oct 13, 2015

Someone answered this on the wf group as follows:

"a small and lightweight tool [wf_classic] for small and/or purely textual docs and a very pro tool [wf_pro] for huge / complex projects"

So, I guess this is the practice. As for myself, I use only wf_pro. I used wf_classic a lot, but switched to wf_pro when it was launched.

Cheers!

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:49
French to English
Yep Oct 13, 2015

JL01 wrote:

Exactly!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

For Word docs, when do you use WFP and when do you use WFC?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search