Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 16, 2015

Hello everyone

A client of mine sent me a URL to a WF glossary, and I'm trying to verify that a certain term is in the glossary. However, WFA only allows me to see the first 250 entries of the glossary (and, more importantly, I can only search through the first 250 entries). And although I can load the glossary URL in WFP, I can't figure out how to do a glossary search in it. How does one do a glossary search in WFP? Or, how does one get WFA to search an entire online glossary?<
... See more
Hello everyone

A client of mine sent me a URL to a WF glossary, and I'm trying to verify that a certain term is in the glossary. However, WFA only allows me to see the first 250 entries of the glossary (and, more importantly, I can only search through the first 250 entries). And although I can load the glossary URL in WFP, I can't figure out how to do a glossary search in it. How does one do a glossary search in WFP? Or, how does one get WFA to search an entire online glossary?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:10
Finnish to French
Ask on the dedicated mailing list Oct 16, 2015

Your questions about WFA would be best asked on the dedicated mailing list, which is where the developers hang out.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And WFP? Oct 16, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Your questions about WFA would be best asked on the dedicated mailing list, which is where the developers hang out.

It does not sound promising if it requires a developer to answer a question.

Do you know the answer to the WFP portion of the question, though?

[Edited at 2015-10-16 09:55 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved the WFA issue Oct 16, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
A client of mine sent me a URL to a WF glossary, and I'm trying to verify that a certain term is in the glossary. However, WFA only allows me to see the first 250 entries of the glossary (and, more importantly, I can only search through the first 250 entries).

Actually, I've now discovered that I can search the entire glossary in WFA, but only if I type in the source term exactly as it is written in the glossary. I did not realise that. This means that if a term consists of more than one word, you have to search for all of its words.

[Edited at 2015-10-16 10:04 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:10
Finnish to French
WFA developers Oct 16, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
It does not sound promising if it requires a developer to answer a question.

I didn’t say it required a developer, but since the developers (Rémi Andre, Yves Champollion) are actively monitoring the list I mentioned (and not hanging out on this forum) and answering questions there, why not take advantage of it? After all, they are likely to be the most qualified people to answer questions about WFA. As a bonus, you may get answers from other fellow users as well.
Samuel Murray wrote:
Do you know the answer to the WFP portion of the question, though?

I don’t. Hopefully someone else does.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Glossary search in WFP Oct 16, 2015

This is actually quite easy in WFP. With the glossary in question loaded in your Project, and in TXML Editor perspective, click Terminology on the top bar, scroll down to Edit and pick the glossary you want to search. That opens the glossary and you have a Search facility that allows you to search on any part of the term you want to find. If the first one selected isn't what you want, simply click Next to move on till you find what you are looking for. Alternatively, as the glossary is in alphab... See more
This is actually quite easy in WFP. With the glossary in question loaded in your Project, and in TXML Editor perspective, click Terminology on the top bar, scroll down to Edit and pick the glossary you want to search. That opens the glossary and you have a Search facility that allows you to search on any part of the term you want to find. If the first one selected isn't what you want, simply click Next to move on till you find what you are looking for. Alternatively, as the glossary is in alphabetical order, just scroll down.Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Not so trivial Oct 16, 2015

When my glossary grew rather big, I had to download it, because I don't like the way it works in WFA.

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 05:10
Run/Stop Term Highlight (Ctrl+F5) Oct 16, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

How does one do a glossary search in WFP?

Thanks
Samuel

Hi Samuel,

You can't search WFServer Glossary in WFP. What you can do is open the TXML file you wish to translate or review with glossary selected do Terminology > Run/Stop Term Highlight (Ctrl+F5). This would highlight the terms in your segment from glossary.

Right now search or seeing content of WFServer Glossary is not possible.

Thank you,

John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to do glossary search in WFA and WFP

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »