Making a proper wordfast character count is almost(hopefully just because i am learning) impossible!
Thread poster: halit yilmaz

halit yilmaz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 14:26
Member (2014)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Nov 11, 2015

I just purchased the license for wordfast because of a client's demand.
What happened next is; I found wordfast very clumsy.

It took me hours of research to just get started while it took me 3 hours to master the entire memoQ with pleasure.

I still dont know how to add terms without being have to type the translation of the term while i already entered it to my translation...

I still dont know why it takes about 20 minutes to analyze a normal file (not too long) with a TM of 140000 segments (memoq gives the results in 10 seconds for the same and with a TM of 1600000 segments, it takes only 20 seconds, With trados, it takes maximum 1 minutes)...

I happen to sweat with the new shortcuts which are not super intuitive...

I used Trados for more than 5 years, thank you wordfast for being so much of a weight on the shoulder to learn and use.

And yes! where is the character count in the analysis? I feel like i am swimming in the middle of Atlantic, I dont use word count because of my language's nature. What is the deal here? Somebody who hates character count or something?
If there is an option for it, why is it not the "default" option?
Dear Wordfast developers
Do you like making life harder for us? Please...

And why is there no connection to the only very good Machine translation with private storage capability; Mymemory?

Turkey
Member (2014)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Errors detected Nov 11, 2015

I open the wordfast pro and open my project

I click on a segment i already translated,

It says "connecting to TM" and keeping the screen locked for 20 seconds, while actually i dont need the result that will come from the connection.

Why not make it something like when connecting, the machine translation should just come out as "connecting to TM" for 20 seconds instead of blocking the entire traffic?

But yet, this kind of stuff are to be expected as normal when there is not even an option to just "import" a tm to my main tm. Invent America, once again, bravo.

Turkey
Member (2014)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bravo Nov 11, 2015

When changing a shortcut, it changes in the menu as well, i am surprised. I was expecting them to just be little pictures, never to change ever. I am amazed (very little bit).

Turkey
Member (2014)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Urica Nov 11, 2015

I just found an option that allows "character" count INSTEAD OF "word" count. Is it too expensive? Why not both, like every other CAT Tool in the universe do?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Character count Nov 11, 2015

halit yilmaz wrote:
And yes! where is the character count in the analysis? I feel like i am swimming in the middle of Atlantic, I dont use word count because of my language's nature. What is the deal here? Somebody who hates character count or something?

Yes, Wordfast Pro’s analysis is very much word-oriented, which is too bad for people involved with languages such as German, Finnish or (apparently) Turkish, for which character counts are widely used.

Since you have a copy of memoQ and memoQ supports both the TXML format of Wordfast Pro and character counts in its report, why don’t use analyze your TXML in memoQ, especially since you found the analysis was much faster?

Turkey
Member (2014)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Like "Marriage" Nov 11, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

halit yilmaz wrote:

Yes, Wordfast Pro’s analysis is very much word-oriented, which is too bad for people involved with languages such as German, Finnish or (apparently) Turkish, for which character counts are widely used.

Since you have a copy of memoQ and memoQ supports both the TXML format of Wordfast Pro and character counts in its report, why don’t use analyze your TXML in memoQ, especially since you found the analysis was much faster?

I do it but i dont like opening one and closing one and so on. Why is it not an "all in one" package when i pay properly? It feels like a "marriage". I dont want to be "have to" go for others.

I think wordfast suffers with such small issues that require more attention.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Option for character count Nov 11, 2015

halit yilmaz wrote:
I just found an option that allows "character" count INSTEAD OF "word" count.

Just out of curiosity: where did you find the option to have a character count? I didn’t even know there was one.

Turkey
Member (2014)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Easy (!) Nov 11, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

halit yilmaz wrote:

Just out of curiosity: where did you find the option to have a character count? I didn’t even know there was one.

Edit/Preferences/Translation Memory (there is a little part on the page with "Analysis report settings" written (very "veeery" intuitive path)...

Turkey
Member (2014)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And yet it failed Nov 11, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

halit yilmaz wrote:

I just run an analysis to try and it is still showing words, so what happened now? Am i tricked into this marriage? icon_smile.gif This is not very funny but life is not complete without humor.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Making a proper wordfast character count is almost(hopefully just because i am learning) impossible!

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search