Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 13, 2015

Hello everyone

Is there a way to make the terminology check in transcheck in WFP3 character based instead of word based? My clients expect me to verify terminology based on the transcheck report, but WFP3 yields 99% false positives due to the fact that my target language uses compound nouns.

For example, the glossary says "tissue = weefsel" and my target text translate "tissue sample" as "weefselmonster", but WFP3 says it's an error... the glossary term wasn't used.

I'm very happy that I can disable fuzzy terminology matching (the client doesn't, but I just rerun the transcheck myself to exclude the 99.9% false positives that are the result of "fuzzy" terminology matching).

For those who don't know about it, this is how fuzzy terminology matching works: As an example, my glossary says "information = inligting", and my source text says "informed consent". It doesn't matter how I translate "informed consent", WFP3 will flag it as an error, because "informed" is a fuzzy match for "information", and my target text does not contain "inligting".

Any advice on the character based glossary matching transcheck? Yes, I know it will lead to false positives as well, but at least those will be marked clearly in the transcheck report and easy to spot.

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2015-11-13 14:18 GMT]

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:13
English to French
+ ...
Don't use terminology check?? Nov 13, 2015

This is one of the reasons I disable checks like that. Dealing with the various issues caused by CAT tools poor design in this area takes longer than a plain old careful proofing, and adds tons of frustration.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't be silly :-) Nov 13, 2015

JL01 wrote:
Don't use terminology check??

I have to generate a report and comment on it. Disabling it is not an option.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to enable character based glossary transcheck in WFP3

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search