Experiencing random deletions of txml source files accessed by Wordfast
Thread poster: Marek Burakowski

Marek Burakowski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:33
Finnish to English
+ ...
Nov 17, 2015

Greetings,

I am experiencing a very odd phenomenon where my Wordfast installation on Mac randomly deletes files from my txml files, or to be more accurate, reverts them to the untranslated status and also the memory.

There seems to be some serious flaws in at least the OSX version of this suite.

Has anyone had any similar expereiences using WordFast, txml files reverting to empty with only the source after you are sure you have translated them?


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:33
Finnish to French
Versions used + saving Nov 17, 2015

What versions of OS X and Wordfast Pro are you using?

Just in case (since I don’t know about your background with Wordfast Pro): are you saving the TXML you’re working on every now and then? There’s an asterisk in front of the file name (in the tab of the editor) when the TXML hasn’t been saved at all (or hasn’t been saved after modifications). The asterisk disappears when you save the file (in Windows: Ctrl+S, in Mac, probably: Cmd+S). Wordfast Pro hasn’t got an autosave feature AFAIK, so if you never save your TXML, you will not keep your translations (they will be saved in the TM, though).


 

Cristina Frasineanu  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:33
Member (2013)
English to Romanian
+ ...
it has just happened to me, too Nov 17, 2015

I have just experienced the same problem. I see the units in the TM, but WF does not take them over.

 

Marek Burakowski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:33
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Nov 17, 2015

So the issue for me is as follows:

I have some txml files in a directory structure.
I translate them.
Every now and then, usually every two weeks or so, some or all of the translated files show as empty, with the same timestamp (like 19.12 today) in the OSX Finder view. And by empty I mean as I received them, the sources are there but all translations are gone.

Usually, I a m able to go to Time Machine backups on my separate backup HDD and retrieve those files, which are translated and show the true modification timestamps (all different of course).
But sometimes even this backup strategy does not manage to return all the files, so I am
pretty scared of working with TF at the moment, since I was taking habitually backups and it still kills my workweek at will.

I know about saving and the asterisk. What is the most weird thing, is that you would think that since I commit all to local TM after I finish a TU or again after I finish a file I click commit all to TM, the TU:s for the deleted files should be there so basically I should be able to just click translate all and get all 100% matches but the TM has reverted too! Good luck explaining that!

I would really like to know if anyone has experienced a similar failure.



[Edited at 2015-11-17 22:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-17 22:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-17 22:04 GMT]


 

David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:33
English to Czech
Sync software playing tricks? Nov 17, 2015

It seems very strange Wordfast Pro should be doing that. Why do you assume it's Wordfast Pro? I would suspect a backup or sync software causing the issue. Are you using any such software?

 

Marek Burakowski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:33
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Simple Nov 17, 2015

I dont have any other backup sofware than Time Machine, and time machine is hardly the cause since it is from OSX developers and it is more the reason I was managing to escape with so little damage. If it was a backup software, why would only WF files be affected? And remember that in UNIX each program is a separate user so most programs do not have access to those files they do not use, that is why when you open or save a file it is from a separate window taht is always the same for all software. So culprits can be either OSX or WF and I strongly suspect WF.

 

Cristina Frasineanu  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:33
Member (2013)
English to Romanian
+ ...
new source files Nov 18, 2015

I managed to get the units from TM when using new source txml files. I suspect that this occured after analysing the files, but I am not sure.

 

Marek Burakowski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:33
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update: Issue is being looked into Nov 18, 2015

I managed to find what seems to be the root of the issue in a session with the WordFast support. I will post here when the root reason has been found.

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experiencing random deletions of txml source files accessed by Wordfast

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search