Thread poster: Doris Wolf

Doris Wolf
Germany
Member (2010)
French to German
+ ...
Nov 18, 2015

Hello,

I am asked to put the content of my Wordfast TM into an excel file. Has somebody an idea how I can proceed without spending hours? Thank you in advance!

Tony M
France
Local time: 09:05
French to English
+ ...
NORMALLY speaking... Nov 18, 2015

You should be able to do this quickly and simply:

1) Open the TM's .txt file in something like Notepad++ or other text editor.

2) Ctrl-A to select all and Ctrl-C to copy it

3) (with Excel already running with a blank, new spreadsheet) Ctrl-V to paste the contents of the clipboard into the blank spreadsheet

4) If necessary, delete the 'empty' columns that represent the various attributes fields etc. that you may not even have used in your TM.

5) Delete the TM header row.

6) Save the .xls file with the name of you choice.

Doris Wolf
Germany
Member (2010)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Nov 18, 2015

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your answer. This has worked much more easy than I have thought.
To be honest, it already had worked yesterday in the afternoon when I tried but I didn't realize because the text only started in line 934 of the excel file while the lines above were emptyicon_smile.gif

Thank you again!

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Even easier Nov 18, 2015

All you need to do is open the .txt file directly in Excel (right click on the file in File Explorer and select Open With and then Excel) and then save it as an Excel file.

Adrien Esparron
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Agree with B D Finch's suggestion Nov 18, 2015

Then delete the first row and the colums A,B,C,D and F if you need only the source and the target. E is the source and G the target. Save this new file.

Regards

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:05
Finnish to French
Alternative: Heartsome TMX Editor Nov 20, 2015

In addition to the suggestions you have already received, you can also use the (free) Heartsome TMX Editor:

1. Export your Wordfast TM to TMX
2. Open TMX in Heartsome TMX Editor
3. Select Tools > Convert TMX to... > Microsoft Excel

You can find information about the Heartsome TMX Editor here:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2015/07/10/convert-excel-to-tmx-with-heartsome-tmx-editor/

In that post, I use Heartsome to convert from Excel to TMX.

If you want to open your Wordfast TM directlty in Excel, you would probably want to make sure the source and target columns are explicitly imported as text. Otherwise Excel may attempt to interpret some segments of the TM as formulas, based on their content, and you will end up with errors. If you are not doing a round-trip, this probably doesn’t matter much.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transforming a Wordfast TM (txt) into an excel file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search