Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen

Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:28
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 23, 2015

Two weeks ago I did a proofreading job and the client and I agreed that, due to some difficulties with the Word files and Trados - Wordfast compatibility, I would make the changes directly in the TM. She sent me the TM in .tmx format and I edited directly in that file (opened with TextEdit). I can't remember doing anything strange, but today she contacted me, saying they weren't able to open the file (don't know why it took them so long to discover this).

I tried to reimport the file in Wordfast Pro, but I got this error message:
***fatalerror*** Error on line 2 of document file: /// name file : Content is not allowed in prolog. Nested exception: Content is not allowed in prolog.

I have NO IDEA what to do. I must have messed up the file somehow, but I don't see anything wrong in the header when I compare it to the original file.
Any suggestions? Solutions?
Many thanks in advance!

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:28
German to Swedish
+ ...
W3 validator Nov 23, 2015

If you edit XML manually, a single non-closed tag is enough to mess up the whole document structure. But if the parser chokes on line 2 it should be easy to find the error.

Try running the TMX through the W3 validator at https://validator.w3.org

[Edited at 2015-11-23 18:21 GMT]

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:28
German to Swedish
+ ...
First lines? Nov 23, 2015

What do the first couple of lines look like anyway?

Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:28
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I solved it Nov 24, 2015

Thank you for your replies Joakim. I also thought it should be easy to find the error, given the error message indicated it was on line 2, but I didn't manage to find it.
In the end, I managed to import the TM with WF Classic and then I exported it with WF Pro, but I found one line repeated more than 1400 times in the TM. It just got inserted into most part of the segments, really strange. I deleted that sentence, imported and exported the TM again and then added the sentence by retranslating it. Then it seemed fine. I sent it to the project manager, but she hasn't confirmed yet if it worked.
I'd never heard of the W3 validator, a very helpful suggestion - it didn't work for my TM though.
Many thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: Content is not allowed in prolog

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search