Error: Content is not allowed in prolog
Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen

Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:09
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 23, 2015

Two weeks ago I did a proofreading job and the client and I agreed that, due to some difficulties with the Word files and Trados - Wordfast compatibility, I would make the changes directly in the TM. She sent me the TM in .tmx format and I edited directly in that file (opened with TextEdit). I can't remember doing anything strange, but today she contacted me, saying they weren't able to open the file (don't know why it took them so long to discover this).

I tried to reimport the file in Wordfast Pro, but I got this error message:
***fatalerror*** Error on line 2 of document file: /// name file : Content is not allowed in prolog. Nested exception: Content is not allowed in prolog.

I have NO IDEA what to do. I must have messed up the file somehow, but I don't see anything wrong in the header when I compare it to the original file.
Any suggestions? Solutions?
Many thanks in advance!


 

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:09
German to Swedish
+ ...
W3 validator Nov 23, 2015

If you edit XML manually, a single non-closed tag is enough to mess up the whole document structure. But if the parser chokes on line 2 it should be easy to find the error.

Try running the TMX through the W3 validator at https://validator.w3.org


[Edited at 2015-11-23 18:21 GMT]


 

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:09
German to Swedish
+ ...
First lines? Nov 23, 2015

What do the first couple of lines look like anyway?

 

Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:09
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I solved it Nov 24, 2015

Thank you for your replies Joakim. I also thought it should be easy to find the error, given the error message indicated it was on line 2, but I didn't manage to find it.
In the end, I managed to import the TM with WF Classic and then I exported it with WF Pro, but I found one line repeated more than 1400 times in the TM. It just got inserted into most part of the segments, really strange. I deleted that sentence, imported and exported the TM again and then added the sentence by retranslating it. Then it seemed fine. I sent it to the project manager, but she hasn't confirmed yet if it worked.
I'd never heard of the W3 validator, a very helpful suggestion - it didn't work for my TM though.
Many thanks again!


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: Content is not allowed in prolog

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search