Thread poster: Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:32
French to English
Feb 20, 2005

Is something wrong?
I have finished about 10 translations with wordfast since buying my licence. Every time my clumsy typing has caused irreparable errors in the segments. For instance my target segments became my source segments, or many segments merge together in one giant segment. In 9 cases out of 10 I had to reopen the original document and start again. In one case the TM must have been corrupted and I could no longer use WF on the document at all.
Is there something I can do t
... See more
Is something wrong?
I have finished about 10 translations with wordfast since buying my licence. Every time my clumsy typing has caused irreparable errors in the segments. For instance my target segments became my source segments, or many segments merge together in one giant segment. In 9 cases out of 10 I had to reopen the original document and start again. In one case the TM must have been corrupted and I could no longer use WF on the document at all.
Is there something I can do to stop this happening? Is there some info somewhere about troubleshooting segment errors.
Very oddly when I close the Word file with the badly segmented document even Windows XP doesn't operate properly. I click on one Ikon and all the files open! I have to restart the computer. Help badly needed!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you possibly work without showing hidden characters? Feb 20, 2005

At least this is what I would suppose when you can restore the translation, restarting with original document.
There is a very good reason, why hidden characters (ALL) should be SHOWN, when working with Wordfast (the same is with Trados).
When you hide them, you can easily damage segments, as you don´t see segment delimeters. You do not see where tabulators are, where soft line breaks are and so on, so you in fact you cannot see any bad formatting.

Check if hidden text
... See more
At least this is what I would suppose when you can restore the translation, restarting with original document.
There is a very good reason, why hidden characters (ALL) should be SHOWN, when working with Wordfast (the same is with Trados).
When you hide them, you can easily damage segments, as you don´t see segment delimeters. You do not see where tabulators are, where soft line breaks are and so on, so you in fact you cannot see any bad formatting.

Check if hidden text is shown in your Word.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:32
English to French
+ ...
Unheard of... Feb 20, 2005

Nicholas

What you describe is unheard of within the WF community and as such, it is hard to fathom what's happening.

Let's start from scratch and assume that you want to translate five sentences, all of them ended by a period.

Could you please describe what you do exactly?

Do you use the Pandora's Box and,if so, did you change any settings? Did you activate low security for your Word macros?

Amicalement

Bruno Magne... See more
Nicholas

What you describe is unheard of within the WF community and as such, it is hard to fathom what's happening.

Let's start from scratch and assume that you want to translate five sentences, all of them ended by a period.

Do you use the Pandora's Box and,if so, did you change any settings? Did you activate low security for your Word macros?

Amicalement

Bruno Magne

Collapse

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Another possibility Feb 21, 2005

Check the settings: in WF's Setup - Segs, the end of segmentation punctuation (ESP) should be:
: . ! ? ^t

Nicholas Stedman
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
More details about segment problem Feb 21, 2005

Thanks for your remarks. I'm following all the instructions in the wordfast manual with hidden text visible and low security activated. Everything seems to work fine for most of the time and then, perhaps due to bad typing on my part, an empty target box suddently appears and my previous english translation is grouped with the original source box with the french text. The only way out seems to be to start again. At least my former translations are in the TM though in one case this didn't work. I... See more
Thanks for your remarks. I'm following all the instructions in the wordfast manual with hidden text visible and low security activated. Everything seems to work fine for most of the time and then, perhaps due to bad typing on my part, an empty target box suddently appears and my previous english translation is grouped with the original source box with the french text. The only way out seems to be to start again. At least my former translations are in the TM though in one case this didn't work. I cleaned up the text and then finished the text off without wordfast.

In Set-up, Segments I have two boxes ticked (latest version of WF)
An ESP without a trailing space ends a segment
An Esp + space + lowercase ends a segment
Is this normal?Bruno Magne wrote:

Nicholas

Amicalement

Bruno Magne

[/quote]
Collapse

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:32
English to French
+ ...
Well, Feb 21, 2005

Bonjour, Nicholas

I apologize to those who don't understand French, but I feel easier with it.

Les deux commandes que tu dis avoir cochées dans l'onglet Segments ne doivent pas être cochées. Les deux seules commandes essentielles dans cet onglet, pour un débutant (ne le prends pas mal, moi aussi, j'ai été débutant) sont:
1) Segmentation method: regular (recommended). Le denrier mot dit tout.

2) Set target segment language to TM's target langua
... See more
Bonjour, Nicholas

I apologize to those who don't understand French, but I feel easier with it.

Les deux commandes que tu dis avoir cochées dans l'onglet Segments ne doivent pas être cochées. Les deux seules commandes essentielles dans cet onglet, pour un débutant (ne le prends pas mal, moi aussi, j'ai été débutant) sont:
1) Segmentation method: regular (recommended). Le denrier mot dit tout.

2) Set target segment language to TM's target language.

La mauvaise qualité de ta saisie n'a rien à voir. Quand tu traduis une phrase, tu ouvres automatiquement un segment source d'une couleur de fond donnée et un segment cible d'une (autre) couleur de fond donnée. À moiins de faire exprès, tu n'ecris jamais dans le segemtn cible.

Pour la traduction dans le segment cible, tu as deux options:

1) soit tu as activé la commande "CopySource Whenno Match" et tu saisis la traduction par écrasement

2) soit tu n'as pas activé cette commande et, en principe, tu travailles dans un segment cible vide (à moins que tu n'utilises la reconnaissance terminologique, mais ça, c'est un autre département.

Wf est un excellent outil (probablement le meiller question rapport qualité et prix), mais il exige un minimum de patience et de sens de l'organisation.

Une autre chose utile consiste à suivre les formations organisées par le concepteur du programme. Tu pourras en apprendre plus en t'isncrivant sur la liste francophone de WF, dont voici l'adresse:

To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast_FR/

Amicalement
Bruno Magne

[Edited at 2005-02-21 15:37]

[Edited at 2005-02-21 15:38]
Collapse

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
C'est comme le dit Bruno Feb 21, 2005

Bruno Magne wrote:
Les deux commandes que tu dis avoir cochées dans l'onglet Segments ne doivent pas être cochées.

Elles ne sont pas non plus cochées chez moi, mais je ne sais pas si c'est important.

Wf est un excellent outil (probablement le meiller question rapport qualité et prix), mais il exige un minimum de patience et de sens de l'organisation.

Une autre chose utile consiste à suivre les formations organisées par le concepteur du programme. Tu pourras en apprendre plus en t'isncrivant sur la liste francophone de WF, dont voici l'adresse:

To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast_FR/

See also:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=tra_announce
(in English)

Annira Silver (X)
Annira Silver (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:32
Finnish to English
Same in English, please! Apr 3, 2005

Hi,

Drat! I found this thread describing the very problems I've encountered - just experimenting with the unlicensed version - and just as the answer was given, the language changed to French...

Please, could some kind soul translate the gist of it into English? I got so fed up with the whole thing that I decided Wordfast is not for me, if it's so sensitive to hamfistedness. I might change my mind if the reason for this malfunctioning and the remedy are revealed... I fo
... See more
Hi,

Drat! I found this thread describing the very problems I've encountered - just experimenting with the unlicensed version - and just as the answer was given, the language changed to French...

Please, could some kind soul translate the gist of it into English? I got so fed up with the whole thing that I decided Wordfast is not for me, if it's so sensitive to hamfistedness. I might change my mind if the reason for this malfunctioning and the remedy are revealed... I found nothing about it in the Manual.

Frustrated potential Wordfast user

Annira
Collapse

Nicholas Stedman
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still having trouble Apr 4, 2005

I posted this topic a few weeks ago and in fact I still havn't found the answer and so I am thinking of buying Trado. To summarize the problem again:
I completely translate a text using Wordfast pla

Nicholas Stedman
Italy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem still occurring Apr 4, 2005

Dear Annira
It was me who asked the original question and the problem is still occurring and I am going to buy Trados as I don't know where to find a solution.
As I said above when I go through a text that I have translated, suddenly for no reason my translation "target segment", becomes the "source segment". No only does this block translation but it also has a very odd effect on windowsXP so that I must restart my computer.
If you do find an answer please post it here. Thanks

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Nicholas and Annira Apr 4, 2005

I am sorry I cannot figure out a way to help you. Before giving up, please try the Wordfast support group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast.

Good luck,
Dan

Jose L. Marcellin
Jose L. Marcellin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm having the same problem Nov 10, 2013

I think I'm having the same problem 8 years later!

Some of the end of paragraph marks in and around the source and target boxes are in tw4winMark style, but they shouldn't. It`s invisible text, so both boxes merge when in print view.

Could anyone help me to fix this?

Thanks!

Jose Marcellin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Absolute Beginner -Trouble with Segments

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »