Why is the translation of repetitions within a file not automatically updated?
Thread poster: jyuan_us

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:05
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dec 14, 2015

I found a lot of exact matches within a file, however, after I updated the sentence in one location, the same sentences in other locations are not automatically updated. I had to move to each location and click on the button for "current segment leverage" to get the updated translation. And even worse, there is no hint that can help me know if a sentence is a full match.

If we have to click on the button for "current segment leverage" to get the updated translation, what is the point of using this CAT tool? How can you know if a sentence is full match, if the actual match is not shown as such on Wordfast Pro?

Did you ever meet such an issue, or did I miss anything? It could be that I have accidentally checked or checked off something somewhere.

Any help will be appreciated.

[Edited at 2015-12-14 07:34 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:05
Finnish to French
Auto-propagation Dec 14, 2015

Maybe you’ve failed to understand and use the auto-propagation feature...

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Appears to be a limitation of WFP3 Dec 14, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:
I found a lot of exact matches within a file, however, after I updated the sentence in one location, the same sentences in other locations are not automatically updated.

Yes, it would appear that auto-propagation in WFP3 works only on empty segments.

In a CAT tool that offers only auto-propagation to empty segments, one possible way to edit a file would be to turn the translation into a TM, and then penalise all those segments by e.g. 40%, and then "re-translate" an empty version of the file against the TM. I have done this with WFC (although to be sure: WFC doesn't have auto-propagation in this sense at all, as it segments on the fly). Doing this will ensure that fixed segments are propagated throughout the file, and also that fuzzy matches of fixed segments will appear above the originally translated segments.

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:05
Member (2006)
French to English
See article Dec 14, 2015

Hello jyuan_us,

I believe you need to modify your settings to get auto-propagation to work the way you want it to. Please see the article Dominique referenced as well as the manual.

Kind regards,
John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is the translation of repetitions within a file not automatically updated?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search