Target segments dissapear in translated file
Thread poster: Stijn Cornelis

Stijn Cornelis
Local time: 09:19
Dutch to French
Dec 17, 2015

Dear all,

I'm having some trouble in WFP3.

I need to translate a docx file where parts of the source text are already translated. In other words, I have a bilingual Word file.
So, when translating in WFP3 some source segment are already in my target language.

When I leave my target segments empty, I get blanks in my translated file where those segments should be.
The odd thing is, I'm the only one at my office having this issue and it does not apply to all segments. Some are gone, others are kept.

Obviously something has changed in my preferences, but I can't find where to set these. And the gargantuan manuel isn't much of a help either. Can anyone help?


Thanks for your help.

[Edited at 2015-12-17 10:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-12-17 10:53 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:19
Member (2006)
French to English
Version Dec 17, 2015

Hi Stijn,

What version of Wordfast Pro 3 do you have? What version do the other people have in your office? This might be the problem. I don't think there is a setting that would cause this to happen.

You could check on your DOCX filter in the settings as well. Maybe that is the reason?

Best,
John


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stijn Cornelis
Local time: 09:19
Dutch to French
TOPIC STARTER
Prefences restored, but not helping Dec 17, 2015

Hi John,

We're all working with version 3.4.5. on Windows7 Pro.
When it was installed a few weeks back, all worked well and I didn't encounter this issue.
The preferences of my coworkers and me are all the same, including the doc and docx filters.

Thinking it has something to do with my preferences I restored them to default a few minutes ago. I also started up a new project and started with new files. But nothing has changed. I still get the same problem...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stijn Cornelis
Local time: 09:19
Dutch to French
TOPIC STARTER
Semi-resolved Dec 17, 2015

Well, I found a solution...kind off...

The issue of dissapearing segments remains, but my coworker and I found a way to counter this.

1. ALT + insert: to copy the content of my source segment in my target segment
2. ALT + enter: to confirm, but not commit
3. ALT + arrow down: to go to the next segment (segment is still not committed)

At the end:
4. Commit all segments to TM: to commit all segments, except the ones I only confirmed.

So, now the segments copied from my source are displayed in my translated text, but not commited to my TM. Exactly what I needed, only I have to go through extra steps to get there as opposed to my coworkers who simply need to keep the segment empty...


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Target segments dissapear in translated file

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search