How to have text into brackets not automatically translated?
Thread poster: ShaolinPower
ShaolinPower
Belgium
Feb 22, 2016

Hello guys,

I am working a lot on translations from UK to FR including technical terms in English that are not supposed to be translated.

I am wondering how I can change Wordfast Anywhere (free version) so that what comes in brackets in English is not automatically translated in French.

For example:
UK text is: Hello [customername], how do you like your [number] points today?
--> In FR, [customername] and [number] are not automatically translated.

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:52
Finnish to French
Placeables Feb 23, 2016

Questions related to Wordfast Anywhere are best asked on the dedicated mailing list, since it’s attended by the developers themselves (unlike this forum).

In Wordfast Classic, the following setting can be found:

Placeables=Case,CASE,123,{[()]},wo@#rd

You may want to request its implementation in Anywhere, since (I think) it would let you do what you want: insert strings in brackets as is, without translating them. However, if you are using machine translation, it would not prevent them from being translating (when you wrote "automatically translated in French", this suggests you are using MT).

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
tw4winInternal a partial solution Feb 23, 2016

ShaolinPower wrote:
UK text is: Hello [customername], how do you like your [number] points today?

If you know how to mark text as tw4winInternal, then you could mark up these non-translatables as such before uploading the file, but it is only a partial solution, because those texts are then displayed as numbered tags, and even if you hover your mouse over the tag, it doesn't show what the non-translatable's text is.

ShaolinPower
Belgium
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 24, 2016

Thanks for the answer guys.
Unfortunately way too much technical. I guess that is the limits of the free version of Wordfast. I will ask in the Yahoo group though. Thanks again.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Try it in WF Classic Feb 24, 2016

You can use it in demo mode - the PB setting that Dominique mentioned should do what you want.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lori Feb 24, 2016

Lori Cirefice wrote:
You can use it in demo mode - the PB setting that Dominique mentioned should do what you want.

The PB setting that Dominique mentions will not achieve what the nameless original poster wants (i.e. to prevent those words from being translated or prevent them from being evaluated as "words" during matching), but it will certainly help speed up translation by making it easier to insert those bracketed words into the target field.

AFAIK tw4winInternal style is the only method available to WFA, WFC and WFP users to mark chunks of text as internal untranslatable.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:52
Finnish to French
TransTools for tw4WinInternal style Feb 24, 2016

ShaolinPower wrote:
Unfortunately way too much technical.

Applying the tw4WinInternal style to a selected portion of text in a Word document is very easy if you are using TransTools (must-have utility for users of any CAT tool):

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to have text into brackets not automatically translated?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search