Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:16
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 4, 2016

Good morning,

Everything has been working well with sdlxliff files for my clients and me until now.
Now each and every time I try to save 2 translated sdxliff files (export of pdf files made by my client), Wordfast Pro 3 freezes and nothing happens. I need to use the Task Manager to shut it down. I retry and still experience the same problem.

I've got the newest Wf version, I've run Transcheck, I've written to the Wf hotline, but no news yet.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Marcelina

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
PM perspective clean-up Mar 4, 2016

Hi Marcelina,

Have you tried to clean-up using the PM perspective?

Hope this works!

John

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clean up Mar 4, 2016

Thank you for the idea, John.
I've managed to save one of the files (still I don't know how and why it's worked this time) - the client is checking it now.
The cleanup stops at a moment and nothing happens. Still trying to restart and save translated sdlxliff to no avail...

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:16
Finnish to French
PDF Mar 5, 2016

Marcelina Haftka wrote:
try to save 2 translated sdxliff files (export of pdf files made by my client)

This is probably the "culprit". The best practice when dealing with PDFs imported in a CAT tool (when that tool supports importing PDFs, as with Trados and Wordfast) is to save the converted PDF to Word after it has been imported in the CAT tool and before starting to translate it, check it’s OK in Word, and reimport the DOCX.

So instead of dealing with a .PDF.SDLXLIFF (or .PDF.TXML), you would deal with a .DOCX.SDLXLIFF (or .DOCX.TXML). And in your workflow, you would be dealing with a .DOCX.SDLXLIFF.TXML (instead of a .PDF.SDLXLIFF.TXML).

What you could do is send translations in the .TXML that you can’t save in WFP to a new TM, export that TM as TMX and send it to your client. They can then retranslate the SDLXLIFF on their end with the imported TMX.

Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PDF Mar 5, 2016

Actually, the client sent me a *.docx.sdlxliff file.

When experiencing the Wf problems, I exported my TM to the format tmx and sent to the client, but they informed me there were 2 issues:
1. they would have only 90-100% matches, so the reviewer could not see what had been translated before and should not be reviewed again,
2. the formatting of their SDL Trados file translated with my TM got completely messed up.

When I retranslated the original sdlxliff file with my Wf TM in memoQ, corrected some minor formatting issues, and exported the file, the file was accepted by the client at once.

I got information from the Wordfast hotline "the problem may really be related to invalid characters" that should have been deleted prior to the translation process.

Anyway, I've been working with Wf Classic and Pro for over a decade, and I've learned something new.icon_wink.gif

Thank you, John and Dominique, for your valuable contribution.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wf Pro 3 freezes when trying to save translated sdlxliff file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search