Australia
Local time: 02:17
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Mar 7, 2005

Hello colleagues,

I'm just learning WordFast, it's my 2nd day
so far.
My source text is English, target text is Ukrainian.
The TM (translation memory) seems to have funny words instead of the correct Ukrainian words, parts of the words are displayed correctly, but half of the symbols are replaced with the question marks (e.g., the word "mother" would look like "m????r", in Ukrainian, of course).
So, every time WordFast tries to help me and comes up with the translation, it's almost useless because I have to re-type it anyway.

Is there something wrong with the coding of the TM file?

Thanks,

Tanya

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:47
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Tanya Mar 7, 2005

You could post it in the Russian forum as well. Plus try to search the forums using the search box in the upper right corner: this problem has been discussed a couple of times so you sill find something for sure.

Best,
Natalia

Mihail M Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 19:47
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
try to fix encoding, when toy create the TM Mar 7, 2005

Source language EN-US, target language: UK-01 /according to manual/. Personally I use SL : EN-US, and TL: BG-01. When I work on oposite, I switch the codes.

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:47
English to German
+ ...
Unicode Mar 7, 2005

Hello Tanya,

when creating a new TM, you should make sure to save it as Unicode, i.e. choose "Text (coded)" (or something similar; I have German Word) from the list of available file formats.

As for the existing TMs, I don't think there is anything you can do about them other than manually "repairing" them (i.e., open them in Word or Editor, retype every TU and save it as Unicode).

HTH.

Kindly,

Sonja

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 19:47
English to Russian
Unicode!!! Mar 7, 2005

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote: when creating a new TM, you should make sure to save it as Unicode, ...

Seconded, most probably that is the culprit

SST  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:17
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 7, 2005

Dear colleagues,

Thank you very much.

Saving the TM file in Unicode has fixed the problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with displaying Cyrillic chars in target text

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search