Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 09:30
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2016

I have a RTF file with 5 columns; the second column contains text in my source language and the third column the translation into my target language.
I need to be able to work on the file in Wordfast Pro (v. 3.4.8) with the source and target languages side by side - how do I go about creating a txml file from the rtf to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:30
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Word Oct 11, 2016

I would copy the source column into an empty Word file and translate this. The translated column can then be copied back into your rtf as column 3.
Or you can delete the other columns and leave the source column and save it as a Word file etc.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Can't do it (natively) Oct 11, 2016

Catharine Cellier-Smart wrote:
I have a RTF file with 5 columns: the second column contains text in my source language and the third column the translation into my target language.

WFP does not have the ability to import such a file to TXML. If the target column already contains translations, getting them into TXML is a convoluted process. If the target column is currently empty, then I would suggest what Heinrich suggested.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working from a RTF file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »