Problems with wordfast
Thread poster: olimpia martinelli
olimpia martinelli
olimpia martinelli
Local time: 02:49
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 7, 2005

I just downloaded wordfast and I am learning to use it. I have a problem now... when I finish translating a segment and click on the next button to go on with the translation, the source segment is dispaleyed before the traslated one and is not canceled from the text. Is it normal or there is something I need to do?
Thanks for your advice

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
OK Apr 7, 2005

Hi Olimpia,

It´s normal. The source text will disappear when you clean the document, after you have finished the translation.

Please read the manual. You can download it at www.wordfast.net

Dan

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:49
If it bothers you ... Apr 7, 2005

... go to MS Word's Options menu, click the View tab, and uncheck Hidden text. This way you'll only see your translation for segments already translated and the source text for segments yet untranslated.

Be careful though in this mode with making edits anywhere other than in the currently open segment as you might damage the CAT code and will then have to fiddle around to fix it.

olimpia martinelli
olimpia martinelli
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well thanks Apr 7, 2005

The important thing is that this behaviour is normal and not anomalous.
thx for your prompt replies. I'll go on with my translation and I hope I'll have no more trouble in understanding it
)))))))))
Regards to all of you

Olimpia

Susan O'Neill
Susan O'Neill
France
French to English
Also having the same problem - was it solved? Apr 13, 2005

Hi Olimpia and others who replied,

I am also having exactly the same problem with Wordfast, the source sentence remains before the target sentence, except when I clean my document, it still remains in the text. Is there anybody who can shed more light on this, its becoming very frustrating as I am unable to use my new software and I am just continuing to translate without it!
Also, once the clean up is done, are the delimiters supposed to remain in the text, or disappear? Mi
... See more
Hi Olimpia and others who replied,

I am also having exactly the same problem with Wordfast, the source sentence remains before the target sentence, except when I clean my document, it still remains in the text. Is there anybody who can shed more light on this, its becoming very frustrating as I am unable to use my new software and I am just continuing to translate without it!
Also, once the clean up is done, are the delimiters supposed to remain in the text, or disappear? Mine remain, along with all the mixed up source sentences.

Sorry if this sounds like a repetition of other forum threads, I ahve searched similar questions for solutions but not found one.

Many thanks for any advice!!!
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:49
French to English
+ ...
Hi Susan, Apr 14, 2005

Susan O'Neill wrote:

Hi there, are you just using the 'quick cleanup'? If so, then you shouldn't be able to see both languages, but possibly using the full cleanup could help - go to the Wordfast dialogue (the last button on the right, in the toolbar), go to the 'Tools' tab, select the file you are working on in the 'documents' tab, go to the 'tools' tab, select 'cleanup' and this should do it.

I hope this is helpful... remember the usual things about not fiddling with delimiters and tags (I didn't realise when I first started using it that they are so easily damaged!).
Angela

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
Try Yahoo group Apr 14, 2005

Hi Olimpia and Susan,

you may also try to ask this question (and others which are almost sure to come!) at the Yahoo wordfast-group, they are very quick to answer. Doing a search or just browsing around there sometimes also leads to inexpected solutions

Good luck!

Charlotte

Here's
... See more
Hi Olimpia and Susan,

you may also try to ask this question (and others which are almost sure to come!) at the Yahoo wordfast-group, they are very quick to answer. Doing a search or just browsing around there sometimes also leads to inexpected solutions

Good luck!

Charlotte

Here's the URL: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/
Collapse

olimpia martinelli
olimpia martinelli
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Apr 15, 2005

Sorry guys I did not reply to this forum anymore, unluckly my computer crashed, so I am slowly trying to recover all my programs and important files. Currently I am using my boyfriend laptop and hope to be able to recover my translation test with wordfast :-S. I am pretty desperate
I'll get back to u as soon as I'll have my things back.
Regards to all of u
Olimpia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with wordfast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »