WFC 6.45 and Word comments
Thread poster: Roni_S

Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 07:45
Slovak to English
Feb 20, 2017

Hi,

Does anyone know how to handle Word comments when translating with WFC (I'm using v 6.45)? I see the comment in my source segment - do I copy it to my target segment or is there some specific way to handle this in WF?

Many thanks.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:45
English to French
+ ...
Do you need the comment translated? Feb 20, 2017

I suppose you mean that you see the comment marker in the source segment.

Unfortunately, Wf does not provide for translating comment. If you need the comment translated, you need to go into the comment (preferably after you have cleaned up the translation) and translate it by hand. The text of comment(s) may be copied/pasted into a blank Word document, and translated there using Wf, but the translation will need to be copied/pasted by hand, comment by comment.

If you don't need to have comments translated, just select "Final" in the TracKing section of the Review tab, rather than "Final Show Markup." They will still be there after translation clean-up.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 07:45
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 20, 2017

That more or less answered my question. The client wants the comments translated and I was hoping for a nifty way to go about it. Guess not. In the past, when there have been umpteen comments in the source doc, I've printed them out and then inserted them manually into the translated document, so I guess I was doing it the right (read: only) way all along.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:45
English to French
+ ...
Copy the comment marker Feb 20, 2017

If you copy/past the comment marker (between brackets, usually reviewer's initials by default) from the source to the target segment, they will be there after translation clean-up.


Roni_S wrote:

That more or less answered my question. The client wants the comments translated and I was hoping for a nifty way to go about it. Guess not. In the past, when there have been umpteen comments in the source doc, I've printed them out and then inserted them manually into the translated document, so I guess I was doing it the right (read: only) way all along.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 07:45
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oh Feb 20, 2017

Ok, I just copied and pasted the first comment marker. The number changed in the pasted marker, but I assume after I clean up the document the numbering will be put right again.

Thanks again!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:45
English to French
+ ...
Correct Feb 20, 2017

You're right.

Roni_S wrote:

Ok, I just copied and pasted the first comment marker. The number changed in the pasted marker, but I assume after I clean up the document the numbering will be put right again.

Thanks again!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:45
Member (2006)
French to English
Can be done with Wordfast Pro Feb 20, 2017

Not sure how helpful this is, but if you have WFP, you can modify the Word filter so that it extracts comments for translation.

Kind regards,
John


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:45
English to French
+ ...
Interesting Feb 20, 2017

What is the exact procedure??

John Di Rico wrote:

Not sure how helpful this is, but if you have WFP, you can modify the Word filter so that it extracts comments for translation.

Kind regards,
John


Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:45
Member (2006)
French to English
Preferences - Filters Feb 21, 2017

JL01 wrote:

What is the exact procedure??

John Di Rico wrote:

Not sure how helpful this is, but if you have WFP, you can modify the Word filter so that it extracts comments for translation.

Kind regards,
John


Open Preferences, go to Filters, select the Word document filter, and tick the appropriate box.

Best,

John


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC 6.45 and Word comments

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search