problem with .... ¶ signs
Thread poster: Simos Tamoglou

Simos Tamoglou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 07:58
Italian to Greek
Apr 17, 2005

Maybe is a matter already discussed but I do not know the exact name of it in english.
I will descibe it : since this afternoon I have a problem - each time there is a changing of paragraph I'm watching a sign (this sign => ¶).The problem started when I choose to clear up the document. I cant erase it one-by-one, so I must find a way to remove it from the document....
Also this sign now it appears on every word document I'm opening
Sorry if I do not know in english the name of that sign..

Many thanks
Simos



[Edited at 2005-04-17 18:16]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:58
Italian to English
+ ...
The sign... Apr 17, 2005

I don't know what it's called in English either but it could be that you have swtitched on the visibility of "hidden text". This normally shows all spaces and ends of paragraph marks. Deactivate the end of paragraph sign on your toolbar. If it doesn't go away go to tools menu; options; the view tab and then formatting and look and deactivate the end of paragraph sign.

As you noticed, the sign cannot be deleted because it is not a real character it is hidden text that marks the end of a paragraph.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Simos Tamoglou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 07:58
Italian to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
ok ¶.... Apr 17, 2005

Richard Hall wrote:

I don't know what it's called in English either but it could be that you have swtitched on the visibility of "hidden text". This normally shows all spaces and ends of paragraph marks. Deactivate the end of paragraph sign on your toolbar. If it doesn't go away go to tools menu; options; the view tab and then formatting and look and deactivate the end of paragraph sign.

As you noticed, the sign cannot be deleted because it is not a real character it is hidden text that marks the end of a paragraph.



ok, but the problem is creating automaticaly when i'm using the command of document "cleaning". Do you have any idea why, since it is not one of my options???

Grazie
Simos


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:58
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Icon in MS Word Apr 17, 2005

Hi Simos,

This symbol stands for a line break. It exists in every document, though it is normally hidden. If you take a look at the toolbar in your MS Word, do you see the same symbol as an icon (normally next to the dropdown menu where you can decide which size your document should be viewed in)? Click on this icon and the symbol should disappear.

Good luck,
Stefanie

[Edited at 2005-04-17 19:53]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Simos Tamoglou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 07:58
Italian to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
thank you.. Apr 17, 2005

sundari wrote:

Hi Simos,

This symbol stands for a line break. It exists in every document, though it is normally hidden. If you take a look at the toolbar in your MS Word, do you see the same symbol as an icon (normally next to the dropdown menu where you can decide which size your document should be viewed in)? Click on this icon and the symbol should disappear.

Good luck,
Stefanie

[Edited at 2005-04-17 19:53]


Thank you for the "line break", YES, THAT SIGN!!!but you know the problem is not the "sing" but the "WHY"! Why the line break appears when I'm using the fast cleaning of the document?.And then , why that the line break appears to all the word documents I'm opening after the cleaning, and not before for example?

Thank you for your reply
Simos

[Edited at 2005-04-17 20:04]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:58
Italian to English
Paragraph Marker Apr 17, 2005

is the term in English; http://eagleweb.ashland.edu/~dromano/paragraph.PDF

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
It's not a bug, it's a feature ;-) Apr 17, 2005

Simos Tamoglou wrote:
Thank you for the "line break", YES, THAT SIGN!!!but you know the problem is not the "sign" but the "WHY"! Why the line break appears when I'm using the fast cleaning of the document? And then, why that the line break appears to all the word documents I'm opening after the cleaning, and not before for example?

The cleaning macro can change your Word settings.

And the settings with all characters visible are the recommended ones because they help you to see more exactly what you are doing. In case the symbols are too annoying, you may simply switch them off using the respective Word command button.

After closing all files, Word should keep your current settings (until you will do your next clean up)


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's a paragraph mark, not a line break Apr 18, 2005

Strictly speaking....although obviously it breaks lines too:-)

Go to Word, for example, in the Search and Replace/Special list, and you will see that this mark is called a paragraph mark.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Simos Tamoglou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 07:58
Italian to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
Many- many thanks to all Apr 19, 2005

I'd like to thank all of you for your answers to the problem I had. And also I'd like to apologise for my english...

Many thanks to all of you,

Simos


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

problem with .... ¶ signs

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search