Difficult + unclear project/TM/GL organisation structure - WFP3 to WFP5 transition
Thread poster: Julia Mojik

Julia Mojik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:21
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 1

Hello,

as passionate WFP3 for Mac user for years I was excited to get to work with WFP4/5.

ISSUE after watching several training videos and working with WFP4 itself: The simple organisation structure changed with the transition form WFP 3 to 4/5.

PROJECT, TM and GL ORGANISATION structure remains top secret. (Note: I'm experienced with memoQ, memsource, word bee etc. all different kinds of CAT tools).

This is annoying because it costs valuable life time and money.

Issue #1:
Where is the easy way to select storage location of projects when using the advanced project set up, instead of automatic storage under APPLICATIONS?! > PLEASE PROVIDE INSTRUCTION FOR MAC.

Issue #2:
What is an easy and reasonable way to set up storage organisation structure for TMs + GLs out of advanced set up wizard?! > PLEASE PROVIDE EXAMPLES FOR MAC.

(A WFP4 training video suggested to save TMs BOTH under language specifications AND further project related specifications. Really? This equals 3rd organisation level that is actually not needed.)

Desperately looking for conclusive TECHNICAL answers that help to regularly use WFP4/5.

Simple help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Julia


Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:21
Member (2006)
French to English
Wiki article Sep 1

Hi Julia,

Have you read this article?
http://www.wordfast.net/w/index.php/Migrating_from_Wordfast_Pro_3_to_Wordfast_Pro_5

Hopefully this gives you the explanations you are looking for.

Make sure you have 5.1 installed because the simple/advanced wizards have now been merged into a single project creation window.

Kind regards,
John


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Julia Mojik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:21
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please read my concrete queries and reply. Sep 1

John Di Rico wrote:

Hi Julia,

Have you read this article?
http://www.wordfast.net/w/index.php/Migrating_from_Wordfast_Pro_3_to_Wordfast_Pro_5

Hopefully this gives you the explanations you are looking for.

Make sure you have 5.1 installed because the simple/advanced wizards have now been merged into a single project creation window.

Kind regards,
John


Yes, I did. They don't include the answers to my concrete queries.

Please read my concrete queries and reply.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:21
Member (2006)
French to English
Clarifications Sep 1

Julia Mojik wrote:

Issue #1:
Where is the easy way to select storage location of projects when using the advanced project set up, instead of automatic storage under APPLICATIONS?! > PLEASE PROVIDE INSTRUCTION FOR MAC.



There is no longer an advanced project set up. You can choose where to save your project in the project creation window: https://www.screencast.com/t/YKlAmjVAS


Issue #2:
What is an easy and reasonable way to set up storage organisation structure for TMs + GLs out of advanced set up wizard?! > PLEASE PROVIDE EXAMPLES FOR MAC.
(A WFP4 training video suggested to save TMs BOTH under language specifications AND further project related specifications. Really? This equals 3rd organisation level that is actually not needed.)



Save TMs to a "TMs" folder and glossaries to a "Glossaries" folder. Make sure you use a standard naming convention when naming a TM or glossary. Make sure you back up the TM and Glossary folders regularly.
Each company/freelancer has different needs. Determine what yours are and keep it simple. Some people just use one TM and one glossary for everything. Super simple, though not ideal for sharing or managing client data.

Hope this clarifies,
John


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Julia Mojik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:21
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This answers my questions Sep 1

John Di Rico wrote:

Julia Mojik wrote:

Issue #1:
Where is the easy way to select storage location of projects when using the advanced project set up, instead of automatic storage under APPLICATIONS?! > PLEASE PROVIDE INSTRUCTION FOR MAC.



There is no longer an advanced project set up. You can choose where to save your project in the project creation window: https://www.screencast.com/t/YKlAmjVAS


Issue #2:
What is an easy and reasonable way to set up storage organisation structure for TMs + GLs out of advanced set up wizard?! > PLEASE PROVIDE EXAMPLES FOR MAC.
(A WFP4 training video suggested to save TMs BOTH under language specifications AND further project related specifications. Really? This equals 3rd organisation level that is actually not needed.)



Save TMs to a "TMs" folder and glossaries to a "Glossaries" folder. Make sure you use a standard naming convention when naming a TM or glossary. Make sure you back up the TM and Glossary folders regularly.
Each company/freelancer has different needs. Determine what yours are and keep it simple. Some people just use one TM and one glossary for everything. Super simple, though not ideal for sharing or managing client data.

Hope this clarifies,
John


THANK YOU!


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difficult + unclear project/TM/GL organisation structure - WFP3 to WFP5 transition

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search