Thread poster: Natasha Stoyanova

Natasha Stoyanova  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:51
Member (2002)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
May 19, 2005

Hi!

Is it possible to translate InDesign tagged files (ISC) with Wordfast and how to handle them?
I use Wordfast 4.22 with Plus Tools.

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:51
English to French
+ ...
As far as I know, it's impossible May 19, 2005

Files in .isc format are made for Trados and the use of TagEditor. This is the main reason why my employer had us switching us all to Trados (we were using Wordfast before) in order to handle the inDesign files our graphic design department was using. TagEditor was the only way available at that time!

If others have other experiences, I'd be glad to hear them!

Marie-Claude

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
isc = InDesign Tagged Text May 19, 2005

Hello,

isc files are the same like the tagged text export files from InDesign. Maybe Wordfast can handle these files.

Hans

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
But if... May 19, 2005

Since they are exported using Trados Story Collector, I don't think it can.

I've been spending the last half hour trying to open a .isc file with Word, which is of course impossible. Word can open a .ttx file, but my attempts of tagging the document with +Tools (I have the same version as above) have been unsuccessful.

Marie-Claude

Member (2002)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe, May 19, 2005

DSC wrote:

Hello,

isc files are the same like the tagged text export files from InDesign. Maybe Wordfast can handle these files.

Hans

but I was asked to confirm if this is possible to the client, that's why I am trying to understand if and how to handle such a files..

Member (2002)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about May 19, 2005

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Since they are exported using Trados Story Collector, I don't think it can.

I've been spending the last half hour trying to open a .isc file with Word, which is of course impossible. Word can open a .ttx file, but my attempts of tagging the document with +Tools (I have the same version as above) have been unsuccessful.

Marie-Claude

the following idea: Indesign supports export of xml files - can I then translate exported xml files with Wordfast?

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I wouldn't be sure at 100% May 19, 2005

I remember spending hours, months ago, hand in hand with our graphic design department, trying to find a solution for our problem (inDesign vs Wordfast). I posted a topic about that: http://www.proz.com/topic/22930

Our XML attempts were not successful, they were not processed correctly by +Tools.

But who knows, maybe it can now...!

Good luck

Marie-Claude

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 22:51
English to Russian
Yes it is. May 19, 2005

AmusedNath wrote: Is it possible to translate InDesign tagged files (ISC) with Wordfast and how to handle them?

Please, go to http://www.accurussian.net/tagger.htm and download the tagger itself, ***the manual*** and the script for tagging ISC files. I have done a couple of jobs using it.
HTH
Stay well
Alex

Member (2002)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Looks fine May 19, 2005

Aleksandr Okunev wrote:

AmusedNath wrote: Is it possible to translate InDesign tagged files (ISC) with Wordfast and how to handle them?

Please, go to http://www.accurussian.net/tagger.htm and download the tagger itself, ***the manual*** and the script for tagging ISC files. I have done a couple of jobs using it.
HTH
Stay well
Alex

As I understand, after installing the tagger I have to open the ISC file, tag it (choosing the proper ISC taglist), open the tagged file with Wordfast, translate it, clean and save in original ISC format. Am i right?
I will highly appreciate your help in order to clear for myself will I be able to do such a job.:)

Thanks in advance!

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
You're on the right track May 19, 2005

As I understand, after installing the tagger

(yes, it's a Word add-in)
I have to open the ISC file,

(point the tagger to it THEN)
tag it (choosing the proper ISC taglist),

(point the tagger to it FIRST)
open the tagged file with Wordfast,

(it will be a Word document, your original is untouched)
translate it, clean

(yes)
and save in original ISC format.

(which is a plain text file, you can copy/paste teh translation there)
Am i right?

(yes)
I will highly appreciate your help in order to clear for myself will I be able to do such a job.:)

1. Thó manual has been written with a brainless newbie in mind, please, try to look it through.
2. I do not follow the posts here, please, drop me a line if you have a question.
Try tagging your file with the available taglist and see if any tags are left out, then read how to add them, decide what type they are: external or internal and give it a try. Necessity and/or ability to modify the tagging sequence is both an advantage and a PITA, but much more of advanatge. (IMVVVHO)
I am intermittently online - no ADSL here for private individuals till 2006! 8(
Stay well
Alex

Member (2002)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 19, 2005

Aleksandr Okunev wrote:

2. I do not follow the posts here, please, drop me a line if you have a question.
I am intermittently online - no ADSL here for private individuals till 2006! 8(
Stay well
Alex

Will avail oneself of your proposal and bother you, as I am not familiar with tags.:(

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
Welcome May 21, 2005

Good working Saturday everyone
AmusedNath wrote: Will avail oneself of your proposal and bother you, as I am not familiar with tags.:(

Don't frown, tags are very simple stuff, I give a description in the manual and when you read it you'll discover you've known it since time immemorial.

Luck
Alex

cetrans
Canada
Local time: 11:51
English to Chinese
Open ISC files in Microsoft Word Jun 20, 2005

A freelance translator does not use TagEditor and works in Word only. But I still wish to save some time on InDesign formatting. It seems Word can open InDesign-exported ISC files but translatable texts are submerged in millions of tags. Questions:

1) Is there a quick way to protect those tags of an ISC file in Word?

2) If they cannot be protected, is there a way to color those tags quickly so that translable texts are more visible.

3) How do I save the file back to an InDesign-importable ISC file.

pz

myan
Local time: 02:51
English to Thai
ISC and INX Oct 12, 2007

What is different between ISC and INX files? Normally I convert an Indesign file to INX first and then open it in Tag Editor, and save it as a TTX file. I just heard here at the first time that ISC is another fomat as a transit between Indesign and Trados. Anyone here please let me know.

Thanks
Ranze

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ISC files

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search