Olena Mankovska
Olena Mankovska
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:29
Russian to Ukrainian
+ ...
Jun 29, 2018

Dear colleagues,

I wonder if anyone has encountered such a problem and/or hopefully knows how to resolve it.

Having translated my document, I saved my translated file just to see that large chunks of the translated text are missing. What is more puzzling is that footnotes and headings are in place but not the main body of the document. Moreover, these missing chunks are not sporadic: it is consistent paragraphs, sections and chapters in the middle of the document, and
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I wonder if anyone has encountered such a problem and/or hopefully knows how to resolve it.

Having translated my document, I saved my translated file just to see that large chunks of the translated text are missing. What is more puzzling is that footnotes and headings are in place but not the main body of the document. Moreover, these missing chunks are not sporadic: it is consistent paragraphs, sections and chapters in the middle of the document, and then back to normal.

I hope this makes sense.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Olena
Collapse

Clinton Muoto
Clinton Muoto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:29
Member (2009)
Polish to English
Try this Jul 2, 2018

This sometimes happen with some CAT tools. The chunk of text might have been marked as hidden. After translation and cleaning up, try and search the document for hidden text using "Find and Replace" in Word. Find ->Click Format tab -> Select Font -> Tick Hidden -> OK. When you come across any hidden text, unhide them by selecting them and untick "hidden" in the Font dialogue box.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two options Jul 2, 2018

Olena Mankovska wrote:
...large chunks of the translated text are missing.

1. Could it be that it has white text colour on a white background?
2. Make sure your word processor program is set to display drawings and text boxes.

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
French to English
Text off the page or out of text box Jul 4, 2018

With Word documents, I find that translated text can be hidden off the page (to right, to left, above, below) or outside text boxes. For example, when more text is needed in the target language than the source, Wordfast keeps page breaks according to the source text, so if it does not fit in it will disappear. Within a text box, extra words or longer words tend to be hidden. One can usually make the text appear by making it smaller, by dragging the edge of the box, by copying and pasting somewhe... See more
With Word documents, I find that translated text can be hidden off the page (to right, to left, above, below) or outside text boxes. For example, when more text is needed in the target language than the source, Wordfast keeps page breaks according to the source text, so if it does not fit in it will disappear. Within a text box, extra words or longer words tend to be hidden. One can usually make the text appear by making it smaller, by dragging the edge of the box, by copying and pasting somewhere else in the document. I tend to spend a good deal of time on this at the end of a job, but am not complaining.Collapse

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
French to English
Also underneath an image Jul 4, 2018

Further to my last point, you can sometimes find hidden text underneath an image. Always keep a copy of your translated/corrected document before trying to fish anything out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Large chunks of missing text in the translated file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »