https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/33093-bad_results_with_auto_translation_feature.html

Bad results with auto translation feature
Thread poster: Aegis
Aegis
Aegis
Local time: 17:30
English to French
+ ...
Jun 6, 2005

Hello everyone !

I just can't use the "Auto Translation" feature included in my registered version of Wordfast 5.0z...

I often translate texts involving similar expressions and I built a huge Translation Memory from my last translations to have them translated automatically by Wordfast. Unfortunately, it doesn't auto-translate anything !

Is it possible for Wordfast to translate a known expression INSIDE a segment, leaving the other words of the segment unt
... See more
Hello everyone !

I just can't use the "Auto Translation" feature included in my registered version of Wordfast 5.0z...

I often translate texts involving similar expressions and I built a huge Translation Memory from my last translations to have them translated automatically by Wordfast. Unfortunately, it doesn't auto-translate anything !

Is it possible for Wordfast to translate a known expression INSIDE a segment, leaving the other words of the segment untranslated if they don't match with my TM?

I tried to shorten my segments to make them match with my TM, but it is often impossible to shorten them more (no End of Segment available).

Thanks for your help !

Aegis
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:30
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
CAT does not what you think it should Jun 7, 2005

CAT programs are no machine translation tools. CAT programs like Wordfast do not anderstand anything about language and grammer, they just compare strings of characters in a source text with strings of characters in translation memory (TM).
Load the text to be translated into Word, go to Wordfast, select the TM-file you have, go to WF > Tools, choose the file in question and click on Analyse.
Wf will show you the result, how many knwon segments, how many repetitions etc.
If th
... See more
CAT programs are no machine translation tools. CAT programs like Wordfast do not anderstand anything about language and grammer, they just compare strings of characters in a source text with strings of characters in translation memory (TM).
Load the text to be translated into Word, go to Wordfast, select the TM-file you have, go to WF > Tools, choose the file in question and click on Analyse.
Wf will show you the result, how many knwon segments, how many repetitions etc.
If there are no known segments in the text (100 % or less identical with segments in TM), you have to translate yourself the whole text by yourself, segment by segment.
Read the manual, at least the first 10 pages.

Regards

Heinrich
Collapse

Aegis
Aegis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Jun 7, 2005

Thank you for your reply !

Actually, I'm not really interested in translating whole texts automatically, of course! But I thought Wordfast would be a helpful tool for me in some translations. There is no "real" grammar in some of my texts (real estate ads often contain small "sentences" with no verbs, such as "beautiful view on the sea...").

In a segment like "beautiful view on the sea", I thought that, if Wordfast knew "view on the sea", but not "beautiful", it would t
... See more
Thank you for your reply !

Actually, I'm not really interested in translating whole texts automatically, of course! But I thought Wordfast would be a helpful tool for me in some translations. There is no "real" grammar in some of my texts (real estate ads often contain small "sentences" with no verbs, such as "beautiful view on the sea...").

In a segment like "beautiful view on the sea", I thought that, if Wordfast knew "view on the sea", but not "beautiful", it would translate what it knew and leave "beautiful" untranslated. As you can seen, I can't shrink the segment any more to make it match with my TM...

If anyone knows how to tell Wordfast to translate only what in knows inside a segment...

Thanks again for your attention !

Aegis
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:30
German to English
Deja vu does though Jun 7, 2005

Deja vu can detect one word that it already knows and put it in the target segment.
Gillian

Aegis
Aegis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can deja vu do it? Well... Jun 7, 2005

Hello !

If Déja vu can do it, I think I will consider trying this software, then...

Thank you very much !

Aegis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I never use autotranslate Jun 7, 2005

Aegis wrote:
In a segment like "beautiful view on the sea", I thought that, if Wordfast knew "view on the sea", but not "beautiful", it would translate what it knew and leave "beautiful" untranslated. As you can seen, I can't shrink the segment any more to make it match with my TM...

If the CAT tool would translate only partial sentences all in one go, then you'd still have to check each sentence manually to translate the untranslated bits. So why not just translate normally (I'm sure ultimately you won't save or lose any time with this approach).

If the TU says "beautiful view on the sea" and the current segment says "ugly view on the sea", WF will recognise it as a good match and present the TU to you, which you can then change before you go to the next segment. If you use keyboard shortcuts for editing, it'll go even quicker (such as Ctrl+arrow, Ctrl+Shift+arrow, End, Home, Shift+End etc).

I never use autotranslate because I prefer to check the translation in real-time (other people prefer to check it as a separate process afterwards). But even though I don't use autotranslate, my translation work is still a lot faster.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bad results with auto translation feature

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »