Wordfast Pro 3.4.14: The short-cut key for Next with commit does not copy, it only moves to next.
Thread poster: Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert
Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert
Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:29
English to German
Feb 23, 2019

Hello Wordfast Helpers,

I am using Wordfast Pro 3.4.14, and the key that commits the unit to the TM, does move the cursor to the next unit, but it does not copy it. Especially when there is not really a translation, this is very annoying.

I looked through the shortcut keys to see whether there was something else, but did not find it.

What do I have to do to get it copying instead of only the cursor moving (accept running it through the Admin page with copy
... See more
Hello Wordfast Helpers,

I am using Wordfast Pro 3.4.14, and the key that commits the unit to the TM, does move the cursor to the next unit, but it does not copy it. Especially when there is not really a translation, this is very annoying.

I looked through the shortcut keys to see whether there was something else, but did not find it.

What do I have to do to get it copying instead of only the cursor moving (accept running it through the Admin page with copy on empty targets marked which may mix up the language configuration, and which I therefore avoid).

Thanks for any help you can give.

Christiane

Financial and Legal Translator
Proz-Member
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Copy source when no match? Feb 23, 2019

Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert wrote:
I am using Wordfast Pro 3.4.14, and the key that commits the unit to the TM, does move the cursor to the next unit, but it does not copy it.

I have WFP3 but I rarely use it.

Do I understand correctly that you want WFP to automatically copy the source text into the target field whenever you move to a new, empty segment? Won't enabling "copy source when no match" cause this to happen?

copy source no match wfp3

Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:29
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but that only works with the Admin Page, as I said Feb 23, 2019

Hello Samuel,

Thank you, but in my experience this works only when you analyze the file via the Admin Page (having clicked that box), and then re-open it. However, sometimes the language pair gets mixed up when you do that (e.g., EN_DE-DE instead of EN-DE) which leads to problems when you finally want to upload it to a portal. So I do not want to do that. Moreover if you have the original text in the target field when opening, the program will not load fuzzy repetitions that appear
... See more
Hello Samuel,

Thank you, but in my experience this works only when you analyze the file via the Admin Page (having clicked that box), and then re-open it. However, sometimes the language pair gets mixed up when you do that (e.g., EN_DE-DE instead of EN-DE) which leads to problems when you finally want to upload it to a portal. So I do not want to do that. Moreover if you have the original text in the target field when opening, the program will not load fuzzy repetitions that appear once you start translating.

Both in Trados Studio and in MemoQ, the text of the field appears automatically in the empty target field if you click on the get key (called differently in the different programs). In Wordfast Pro 3.4.14, it does not.

So I am looking for the solution I may have missed.

Best regards,

Christiane
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Christiane Feb 23, 2019

Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert wrote:
Thank you, but in my experience this works only when you analyze the file via the Admin Page (having clicked that box), and then re-open it.

1. I assume you mean "PM Perspective" when you say "Admin Page".

2. Well, I just tried it, and it worked for me. I created a new TM in the project, checked that box, and loaded a new file. In the beginning, all target fields are empty. I then used Alt+Down to move to the next segment. If there was a fuzzy match, WFP wrote the fuzzy match into the target field. If there was no fuzzy match, WFP copied the source text into the target field. This happens on a segment by segment basis.

However, sometimes the language pair gets mixed up when you do that (e.g., EN_DE-DE instead of EN-DE) which leads to problems when you finally want to upload it to a portal.

Oh, that's what you mean by "which may mix up the language configuration". I have never seen this nor do I know what causes it, sorry. You may with to post this problem as a separate thread to discover what causes it.

Moreover if you have the original text in the target field when opening, the program will not load fuzzy repetitions that appear once you start translating.

That is true, but when I use WFP3 for translation (which is not often), I use it with the target fields empty. There are ways to populate the target fields with the source text beforehand (in bulk) (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+Insert or using "Analyze" with the "pre-translate" option ticked), but if you want what I think you want, then you must not let WFP3 populate all target fields with the source text at the beginning.

Both in Trados Studio and in MemoQ, the text of the field appears automatically in the empty target field if you [press the "get" shortcut] (called differently in the different programs). In Wordfast Pro 3.4.14, it does not.

Sadly, that has been my experience with WFP3 as well (I rarely use WFP3).

According to the WFP3 help files, Ctrl+Shift+C should overwrite the current target field with the TM match, and Alt+1 should insert the TM match, but neither of these shortcuts do anything in my installation of WFP3. The only way that I can coax WFP3 into inserting the TM match into the target field is by moving to the previous segment and then using Alt+Down (which unfortunately then adds the previous segment's translation to the TM).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 3.4.14: The short-cut key for Next with commit does not copy, it only moves to next.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »